Open Water Swimming

1 lurker | 134 watchers
25 Feb
7:20pm, 25 Feb 2024
6,089 posts
  •  
flip
Thanks very much for all the comments on the swoosh, I'll be sure to read the blogs.. I'll be camping down there for a few days probably at the cool cow campsite as that looks Canny and nearby.

I'll also be exploring south Devon and Cornwall coast before heading to north Devon the following weekend so if you have a favourite trail run or sea swim spot for m all ears.
5 Mar
8:31am, 5 Mar 2024
6,091 posts
  •  
flip
My first proper swim of the year at Roker ( Sunderland) after a lurgy January and a vacj injury.

One of our trio of swimmers is sunning himself in Rome ( no idea if its warm and sunny but it is in my head!) so just Andy and me. Warned myself by the iceguys dippers group fire on the beach before going on to wait for Andy and acclimatise.

You'd think after a number of years open water swimming, quite often without a wetsuit, you'd get use to the bitter cold but no, it was Baltic.
Took my time before putting my head in the water and getting my goggles right before Andy joined me.

We swam out to the second steps with a couple of 'getting my breathe' stops. We didn't hang about heading straight back in and dragging our numb bodies up the beach.

About 1500 meters and 45 minutes including acclimatising time.
One bovril and two coffees after to thaw out.

6 degrees I'm told. I look forward to warmer days!

5 Mar
8:34am, 5 Mar 2024
67,008 posts
  •  
LindsD
Well done
5 Mar
8:54am, 5 Mar 2024
6,092 posts
  •  
flip
Well done

Thanks.
9 Mar
8:49am, 9 Mar 2024
12,989 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
Just back from Dublin this week where I managed to get swims in at Howth and Sandycoves famous Forty Foot. Utterly amazing and beautiful both. A treat at Howth as my fella did his first winter swim with me. That was very cool indeed.

We swim at Dedham here and often get what we call a swoosh down river for almost a mile…. It’s really fun. We learnt how to pack tow floats so we have all our kit with us and have an art of kit for walking back. When we whoosh we have to check out the scenery and keep eyes peeled on exit points and judge when to move in the flow so your drifting the right way. Overshoot and you’ll be scrambling out

Interesting to see these events and I wonder if this is similar or a whole other kettle of fishies. Sounds brilliant

We had a white horses mad high and fast waves day at Frinton yesterday so it was wave jumping only. Very blowy. Beautiful
9 Mar
9:00am, 9 Mar 2024
26,317 posts
  •  
richmac
Still way to cold for this wimp.
9 Mar
10:00pm, 9 Mar 2024
67,066 posts
  •  
LindsD
Love that. Would love to go to the Forty Foot
10 Mar
8:52pm, 10 Mar 2024
39,802 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
As the sea was out of the question this weekend I've booked a swim at Lake 32 for Tuesday. What I'm really looking forward to is having lunch afterwards with the friends who I used to swim with nearly every week but haven't seen for over a year.
13 Mar
8:17pm, 13 Mar 2024
6,094 posts
  •  
flip
Dedham

That sounds like great fun Fru. Which river is that ?
13 Mar
8:18pm, 13 Mar 2024
6,095 posts
  •  
flip
Just back from Dublin this week where I managed to get swims in at Howth and Sandycoves famous Forty Foot. Utterly amazing and beautiful both. A treat at Howth as my fella did his first winter swim with me. That was very cool indeed. We swim at Dedham here and often get what we call a swoosh down river for almost a mile…. It’s really fun. We learnt how to pack tow floats so we have all our kit with us and have an art of kit for walking back. When we whoosh we have to check out the scenery and keep eyes peeled on exit points and judge when to move in the flow so your drifting the right way. Overshoot and you’ll be scrambling out Interesting to see these events and I wonder if this is similar or a whole other kettle of fishies. Sounds brilliant We had a white horses mad high and fast waves day at Frinton yesterday so it was wave jumping only. Very blowy. Beautiful

Try again, that sounds like great fun Fru. Which river is that ?

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.