Open Water Swimming

1 lurker | 134 watchers
Nov 2023
10:26pm, 26 Nov 2023
6,084 posts
  •  
flip
Fair play to you lot. After this year's reports I won’t be swimming in any river or sea any time soon.

I'm glad to say , ive only ever had a mild tummy upset in all the times ive been in the sea but the situation with waste and the water compaines really annoys the hell out of me. I made it though most of last winter swimming and hope to do so again. Mind i think i may need a warmer suit for the long swims. My orca cheapy has seen better days . (and its shrunk . Who knew neoprene Shrunk ! )
Nov 2023
11:09pm, 26 Nov 2023
3,709 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
Let's say there are other reasons to know that …
1 Jan
9:48am, 1 Jan 2024
7,619 posts
  •  
1step2far
Beach huts at just before midnight. We decided on a midnight NYE swim. It was brilliant. Insane but brilliant. Fire works all round and hot chocolate afterwards.

Going again at half 10 for 1st daylight dip of the year

1 Jan
10:15am, 1 Jan 2024
65,851 posts
  •  
LindsD
Totally love this
1 Jan
10:19am, 1 Jan 2024
3,800 posts
  •  
fraggle
So jealous ! It’s £8 for a swim at our lake today - err no thanks 😳
1 Jan
10:41am, 1 Jan 2024
25,219 posts
  •  
richmac
Started watching this thread, need the inspiration to get back in OW. Was a staple for so long and it's gone out the window last couple of years.
1 Jan
1:13pm, 1 Jan 2024
3,801 posts
  •  
fraggle
gentle encouragement or arse kicking required richmac ? :-)

i'm a fair weather open water swimmer I'm afraid, mostly because my lake is only open 8am-9am on weekends over the winter. I am too lazy to get out of bed early :-o
1 Jan
1:55pm, 1 Jan 2024
25,223 posts
  •  
richmac
Somewhere between the two I think.

I'm not one for swimming mid winter, I'm will aware that I'd have to work on acclimatising again.

Also, not a fan of paying, the pay lake, blue lagoon, is about 40 minutes in the car and like yours has fairly limited hours that are early, there's another I may try in Rotherham. I like the canal res' we have either here, there are 3 swimable ones in less than a half hour drive.

My plan, such as it is, is to tap into the community, there's a FB group for round here and also the Tri club. That way I'll make a commitment to meet up, so I'll need to go because they may not be able to swim if I sack it off. It's a safety thing as well really. Also, I can't do my wetsuit up myself so kinda need group support.
1 Jan
2:00pm, 1 Jan 2024
39,427 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
That looks wonderful, 1step. The sea was just far too bumpy for me so I went to Topsham's little unheated lido. Very pleassnt at 9*. Having said that, I did feel overdressed in my shortie wetsuit as virtually everyone else was in skins. I was chatting to one lady who was really encouraging me to give skins a go next time. I really feel I 'should' but can't say I'm keen!
1 Jan
3:55pm, 1 Jan 2024
65,855 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's how I feel LF. Part of my issue is that it's a long drive for 15 mins in the water and a LOT of faffage. Feel like skins is less faffage.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.