Olympics Paris 2024

46 watchers
MsG
1 Aug
3:43pm, 1 Aug 2024
2,666 posts
  •  
MsG
Surrey Phil wrote:BBC messing about with the hockey coverage and only returned to the GB v France match just as GB converted a penalty stroke. More controversy in the boxing as an Algerian (who has failed testosterone tests) broke their opponent's nose and forced her to quite in less than a minute. Very worrying as this is a clear example of the danger to female boxers.

From what I've read the IBA did a press release yesterday saying it was not failed testosterone testing, it was sex testing. The implication being that the Algerian athlete is XY not XX, and had been prevented from participating in the world champs. The IOC have set the inclusion criteria for the Olympics and they've based sex on the passport gender marker.
1 Aug
3:43pm, 1 Aug 2024
4,345 posts
  •  
Cheg
There is hope for us yet.
MsG
1 Aug
3:46pm, 1 Aug 2024
2,667 posts
  •  
MsG
It's also worth understanding that the IOC have issued strict guidelines on the language that can be used in coverage which makes it difficult for people to accurately report on this matter. There's another boxer in the same position as the Algerian.
1 Aug
3:49pm, 1 Aug 2024
6,027 posts
  •  
paulcook
fetcheveryone wrote:A veteran athlete Olympics could be fun

World Masters Games.

imga.ch
1 Aug
3:52pm, 1 Aug 2024
39,397 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Everyday is a school day.

Football was initially a demonstration sport. Became an official sport in the Olympics for the 1908 games, which was in England and organised by the FA! but for amateurs only. Then became open, as per tennis in 1924 and 1928.
1 Aug
3:53pm, 1 Aug 2024
39,398 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Daley Thompson would win the veterans Decathlon, said Daley Thompson.
1 Aug
3:55pm, 1 Aug 2024
24,899 posts
  •  
Meglet
Weren’t football and tennis, and probably golf, problematic as the Olympics was meant to be for amateurs? You weren’t allowed to compete if you were a professional sports person? Hence boxers turning pro after they’d won and never competing at the Olympics again.
1 Aug
3:57pm, 1 Aug 2024
24,900 posts
  •  
Meglet
Of course the distinction between amateur and pro is much more blurred these days with sponsorships and endorsements. Which I guess is why that requirement has been relaxed.
1 Aug
4:00pm, 1 Aug 2024
15,728 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Shame that Martha (Brazilian footballer) due to retire after these Olympics final act was to kick opponent in the head. It was a very high tackle and red card given.
1 Aug
4:07pm, 1 Aug 2024
8,479 posts
  •  
IdristheDragon
Tennis wasn’t at the Olympics for a number of years until I think 1992 from about 1924 maybe? And there was something similar with basketball not allowing professional players until some point in the 90s (and hence the dream team).

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).