Olympics Paris 2024

2 lurkers | 46 watchers
1 Aug
3:03pm, 1 Aug 2024
4,343 posts
  •  
Cheg
The minute you need to start doctoring the teams and having U23 this and 3 senior players that you know it is gone. I think for the women's teams it is good exposure and means much more.

For most male footballers Olympic gold has got to be some way short of an FA cup winners medal. it might nip ahead of a League Cup winners medal.
1 Aug
3:05pm, 1 Aug 2024
6,025 posts
  •  
paulcook
Surrey Phil wrote:I believe that no motor sport is allowed anyway

I think they’ve changed the rule on that recently. Powerboating was once upon a time in the Olympics. And I’m sure I read of possible motor racing in 2032?
1 Aug
3:07pm, 1 Aug 2024
15,131 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I'd love it if there was no football because I can't stand watching it. But I understand that other people love it so it's right that it stays. On the same note other sports that have been at these games for years also deserve to stay as long as enough people round the world are still doing them. So stop trying to ban sports you don't like or don't think deserve to be there! I can just not watch football, can't you just not watch whatever it is you don't like?

BTW - not aimed at anyone in particular, just seems to be an argument that happens every Olympics.
1 Aug
3:12pm, 1 Aug 2024
30,908 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I prefer to think of it as an all-you-can-eat buffet of sports, with something for just about everyone. There's some stuff I've got absolutely no interest in, but I'll just not watch it. And then it doesn't matter what's in or out.
1 Aug
3:13pm, 1 Aug 2024
6,026 posts
  •  
paulcook
Sometimes it’s not banning though I hear your argument. There are limited number of spots for sports and only a couple of mandatory sports required - it might even be just swimming and athletics though I could be confusing that with the Commonwealths. Certainly there’s potential for some sports to be switched.

But personally I’m much happier seeing Trampolining, Surfing, Breaking, etc in the Olympics even though many hold little interest to me than sports I am interested in like football, golf and tennis.
1 Aug
3:14pm, 1 Aug 2024
43,583 posts
  •  
Ness
fetcheveryone wrote:I prefer to think of it as an all-you-can-eat buffet of sports, with something for just about everyone. There's some stuff I've got absolutely no interest in, but I'll just not watch it. And then it doesn't matter what's in or out.

Agree with you on that one, Fetch.
1 Aug
3:15pm, 1 Aug 2024
30,909 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
And the greater the variety, the more likely it is that you'll appeal to fussy eaters :-)
1 Aug
3:20pm, 1 Aug 2024
12,714 posts
  •  
lammo
For me, i prefer those sports where the Olympics is their pinnacle, so no to golf and football, but yes to eventing and shooting, guns or arrows. (Not darts though, that's a pub game).
1 Aug
3:36pm, 1 Aug 2024
4,344 posts
  •  
Cheg
No I do get that you can take it or leave it. I enjoy the back and forth, particularly when the action goes a little quiet.

Like Paul Cook says though there are limited sports, and if you love squash for example you have never seen it in the Olympics. Much worse for the athletes who have long since retired and missed the opportunity for gold.
1 Aug
3:41pm, 1 Aug 2024
30,913 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
A veteran athlete Olympics could be fun :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).