Olympics Paris 2024

2 lurkers | 46 watchers
1 Aug
2:39pm, 1 Aug 2024
39,392 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I quite like the idea that the Olympics is showcasing stuff you do not normally see, so Canoe, Kayak, Hockey, and I guess SurreyP's list includes that sort of activity, along with shooting etc.
1 Aug
2:45pm, 1 Aug 2024
10,524 posts
  •  
GordonG
if i were in charge of choosing *olympic* sports, I'd have quite a time trying to justify some of my decisions.

My basic starting point would be that the main determinant should be human ability, which would rule out all horsey stuff (despite that probably being the starting point in human history for 'sport') and would definitely block F1 from being an Olympic sport.

I'd say there should be a basic requirement for a fitness level above and beyond 'everyday' abilities, ruling out snooker and darts from ever getting in. But... is there really much difference between archery and darts? Both require aiming a metal pointy thing at a target, with limited requirement to be physically fit, yet I don't really have a problem with archery but perhaps that's because it's always been an olympic sport. And if we do have to have golf - using a stick to place a ball in a hole - is that much different from snooker?

Mostly, though, it would start at whether the sport *needs* the olympics, thereby ruling out golf, tennis and football.

But for every one of those restrictions, I'm sure we could all come up with "why would you pick X and not Y", and you'd be right!
1 Aug
2:47pm, 1 Aug 2024
10,525 posts
  •  
GordonG
oh, and no dancing.
1 Aug
2:49pm, 1 Aug 2024
2,610 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Surrey Phil wrote:Pankration was more than brutal from what I understood from learning classics at school. Synchronised swimming, breaking and gymnastics are understandably hard. They are arts and not sports. The Olympic motto is "Citius, Altius, Fortius – Communiter” which translates as “Faster, Higher, Stronger – Together.” Dancier, smilier, more points-ier are not included.

Arts were Olympic events until the middle of the last century. Indeed it seems it was the professional/amateur issue that caused them to be shelved rather than any belief that they didn't have an intrinsic place.

en.m.wikipedia.org
1 Aug
2:53pm, 1 Aug 2024
39,393 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
If you go down the route of needing an Olympics then any sport with a professional world champs is on pretty thin ice. Athletics, track cycling, swimming? I would agree Tennis, Golf ( slams, that's their thing), football, doesn't need the exposure. The rest is fine.

The ancient games stuff was also interesting because it was education and, looking the part.
1 Aug
2:54pm, 1 Aug 2024
10,578 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I believe that no motor sport is allowed anyway although equestrian has seemingly always been part of the Olympics. Snooker has been mentioned previously but I would doubt that would ever be given the IOC approval.

As events need to be played on five continents, I'm still amazed that baseball and softball keeps getting pushed is it is really only played professionally North America and the far east. No doubt they'll be exhibition events once again in four years' time.

Basketball has had 3 x 3 since Tokyo and also BMX and skateboarding trick-stuff. It makes you wonder whether freestyle football will make an appearance at some point. Not something I want to see either.
1 Aug
2:56pm, 1 Aug 2024
4,342 posts
  •  
Cheg
Yeah baseball is back as a temporary one for 2028 to keep the yanks happy. Hard to justify its long term inclusion.
1 Aug
2:59pm, 1 Aug 2024
10,579 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Football has been an Olympic sport since 1900. This was generally regarded as the world championship until the World Cup began in 1930. At that time, the World Cup was questionable considering its involvement in the Olympics.

I do agree that it probably could be dropped based on the World Cup carrying more weight and that there are now numerous international tournaments for every age and gender.
1 Aug
3:01pm, 1 Aug 2024
10,526 posts
  •  
GordonG
Surrey Phil wrote:Football has been an Olympic sport since 1900. This was generally regarded as the world championship until the World Cup began in 1930. At that time, the World Cup was questionable considering its involvement in the Olympics. I do agree that it probably could be dropped based on the World Cup carrying more weight and that there are now numerous international tournaments for every age and gender.

interesting. didn't know that about pre-1930
1 Aug
3:03pm, 1 Aug 2024
6,024 posts
  •  
paulcook
I’d change football to something like beach football or 6 a side. Ditto basketball and just keep the 3x3.

Both tennis and golf could stay if they were perhaps more a team competition.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).