Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

79 watchers
Dec 2023
7:44pm, 23 Dec 2023
11,282 posts
  •  
A Rae in a manger
Definite garden envy there, TR!

I don't think you can train yourself to like gardening per se, cackles, but you could maybe practice really observing something that's growing - it doesn't even have to be something you're responsible veggie to if you often walk or run past someone else's garden, or a nice shrub in as public in park, or there's something established in your garden that defies your neglect).

Make a conscious, regular, practice of spending a few minutes looking at it and noticing the shapes and textures, how insects or birds interact with it, how it has changed from the day before, that sort of thing.

Big, quick, results are usually pretty rare, so if that's what motivates you gardening will a tricky thing to get into.
If you can train yourself to observe the process of growth then you might excited about helping it. Or just continue to enjoy observing, without any pressure to DO anything. That's also a perfectly good way to enjoy nature!
Dec 2023
8:32pm, 23 Dec 2023
50,046 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Wow TR that’s fab well jealous
Dec 2023
8:37pm, 23 Dec 2023
3,054 posts
  •  
Flatlander
ThorntonRunner that picture of yours shows what a transformation you (and your son) have made to your garden. I remember you writing several years ago how you and your son had started to tackle the job of reclaiming your garden from the jungle. You succeeded admirably! :-)
Dec 2023
9:12pm, 23 Dec 2023
22,930 posts
  •  
I saw 3Ms come sailing in
cackleberry, I don't know about training to like it as such, but it's a lot like a marathon training plan. It's all prep and not much to show in the early stages, and a satisfied glow of achievement after the harvest!
Dec 2023
10:43pm, 23 Dec 2023
3,404 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I have certainly enjoyed harvesting the things my OH has grown 3M !!
I'm good at noticing Raemondo, good pointer.
Dec 2023
12:18am, 24 Dec 2023
27,431 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Try some bulbs, cackleberry Daffodils, crocuses, irises. Almost certain to grow, and grow again. Tulips and hyacinths, fairly certain. Should still be able to pick up some reduced price ones. You might need to do a bit of digging, but in general, low effort, decent outcome. Or stick them in pots.

(And quite observable, from the first blades appearing, through leaves, and flowering.)
Dec 2023
11:43am, 31 Dec 2023
4,977 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Pleased with these, to be consumed by the family tomorrow

Dec 2023
12:24pm, 31 Dec 2023
8,566 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Ooh nice. (Except I don’t really like Brussels. Unless they’re roasted)
Dec 2023
1:01pm, 31 Dec 2023
67,095 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Impressive sprout tree, Elsie Too :)
Dec 2023
1:03pm, 31 Dec 2023
50,268 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Looks great only sprouts are 🤢🤮