Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

1 lurker | 79 watchers
17 Feb
3:45pm, 17 Feb 2024
22,435 posts
  •  
Columba
Isn't that beautiful? I can see why Curly wants one.

I avoid buying plants online, since they so often seem to suffer during the delivery process.
17 Feb
4:31pm, 17 Feb 2024
38,677 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Onion sets in and going well. Still eating Parsnips. Cabbages going out from greenhouse to be eaten later in the spring. This will make room for this years Cabbages. Soon to put carrots and new Parsnips in ( different bed ).

Snow in forecast!
17 Feb
4:45pm, 17 Feb 2024
10,684 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Advice on Clematis pruning please. I planted a new one last year and recall that it requires pruning around February, but the label has got lost and I can’t recall what I should be doing for a first prune. It has already started putting on new growth so I’m wondering if I might have left it too late to cut back.
17 Feb
4:47pm, 17 Feb 2024
10,685 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I don’t think that snow should be a problem for carrots and parsnips. You could always cloche/fleece them if you’re concerned.
17 Feb
5:38pm, 17 Feb 2024
4,297 posts
  •  
jacdaw
You need to be more specific about the Clematis, Eynsham Red, I think they fall into 3 different groups for pruning.

... but, having looked here:
rhs.org.uk

rhs recommends pruning all clematis back in the spring, to encourage multiple stems. This sounds like great advice, and I might follow it next time I buy a clematis (I usually buy them, forget all about them, and then am surprised when they start flowering after about 5 years).
17 Feb
5:39pm, 17 Feb 2024
4,298 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Sorry all *newly planted* Clematis back in the spring, I meant to say.
17 Feb
5:46pm, 17 Feb 2024
10,686 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Thanks
17 Feb
5:47pm, 17 Feb 2024
10,687 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Thanks jacdaw I’ll have a read of that advice.
17 Feb
6:52pm, 17 Feb 2024
3,669 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Hello 👋. I have just managed to get an allotment. It's quite big but we are going to grow stuff as a family. My parents, my OH and my 4 year old.

It's needing a lot of digging to get rid of the weeds. So started today. There are a lot of raspberry canes, we are keeping those. Moved some Rhubarb roots and sort other bushes which we think are gooseberry bushes. The previous occupants ran the local bistro (about 100m from the allotments) but they retired.

My little boy was loving the worms, there were hundreds in the small section we dug today. He had them in his bucket but did put them back.

Will be popping in here with lots of questions probably.
17 Feb
8:09pm, 17 Feb 2024
38,679 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Clematis can be a bit picky. I wait until I see it grow a little, because I can't remember which ones I have, then cut it back to two buds above the lowest growth. Total guesswork, but It's working.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.