Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

4 lurkers | 79 watchers
3 Oct
9:45pm, 3 Oct 2024
22,587 posts
  •  
Columba
I would be very suspicious of that giant cucumber. My daughter nearly poisoned herself with a giant courgette. One taste and she threw the whole dish away. Can happen, apparently, if the parent cross-fertilises with something that isn't a courgette but is related, such as a gourd.

My little hardy cyclamen seem to be spreading, which delights my heart.
3 Oct
9:53pm, 3 Oct 2024
11,389 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Our cyclamen are flourishing this year.

Fortunately they’re something that the slugs and snails (which have also flourished) are not interested in.
3 Oct
11:03pm, 3 Oct 2024
71,220 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I love hardy cyclamen. My dad has several clumps of them, but I haven't managed to get them to take hold in my garden.
3 Oct
11:32pm, 3 Oct 2024
21,364 posts
  •  
Gooner
We have a small patch of them at the bottom of the garden under the damson tree and despite my attempts, they refuse to spread towards the house.
4 Oct
7:32am, 4 Oct 2024
22,059 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
There were a few patches in my old garden when we moved in - edge of the lawn, under trees. Occasionally I planted a couple more. After about 20 years, in 2020, they suddenly took off and naturalised all over the place.
4 Oct
7:35am, 4 Oct 2024
22,060 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Looks like I posted a picture of a patch of them and colchicums (autumn crocus) on the thread at the time too. As well as the clump in the foreground, you can see two other patches in the distance if you look carefully. And it was 2019, not 2020.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.