Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

1 lurker | 79 watchers
2 Aug
10:11pm, 2 Aug 2024
12,899 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Hmm I’d better keep an eye on the cosmos and tomatoes then. And the clematis in the other bed.
28 Sep
2:55pm, 28 Sep 2024
4,073 posts
  •  
cackleberry
My tomatoes have split.
Why does that happen?
I'm guessing too much water?
28 Sep
3:07pm, 28 Sep 2024
57,925 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Too dry then too wet I think 🤔
28 Sep
3:13pm, 28 Sep 2024
33,294 posts
  •  
Rosehip
yes, that will do it

going to pull the rest of mine and see if they ripen on the windowsil.
sunflowers blew over and broke some of the plants and it's getting a bit too cold outside now.
28 Sep
9:55pm, 28 Sep 2024
18,591 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
Looked like frost on the field this morning 😮
But nothing in the garden and my begonias are all good, but looking to save them for next year
28 Sep
10:24pm, 28 Sep 2024
64,504 posts
  •  
alpenrose
@cackleberry uneven watering will do that.

Last time I grew tomatoes I ended up making tomato sauce with the green tomatoes, it came out very well and is good to freeze.
29 Sep
7:17am, 29 Sep 2024
4,067 posts
  •  
Lesley C
We have already had frost here in NE Scotland, killed some of the plants and had to harvest the pumpkins.

We have up with our tomatoes, they were only producing small ones and they weren't nice to eat. Plus the flies 🤢. They had to go. Some were also starting to rot on the bottom, maybe due to not enough water.
29 Sep
9:29am, 29 Sep 2024
4,076 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Green tomatoes will go into a curry.

Yes, watering (both natural and human) has been erratic this season. I have salvaged some, but they go off so quick once split.
3M
29 Sep
6:58pm, 29 Sep 2024
24,848 posts
  •  
3M
So....
After 10 data away, I've come back to raspberry bushes laden with fruit (some of it slightly over-ripe now), tomatoes both red and green on slightly crispy tomato plants, a giant cucumber (which I suspect will be pretty bitter), patches of much deeper green grass where I seeded the lawn because of dog wee patches, and my Cos lettuce are ready to eat!

The pak choi (expensive seeds!) that I was worried about because they'd sprouted in record time (10 days on the packet, actually in 3!) and I wasn't around to nurture have survived too. :)
29 Sep
7:00pm, 29 Sep 2024
39,633 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
My tomatoes, from the green house, are terrific now, 4 bowls full just this week. I may end up with some green ones, but they will chutney up with next door's windfall apples ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.