Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

2 lurkers | 79 watchers
Dec 2023
2:22pm, 22 Dec 2023
8,526 posts
  •  
Merry Fizzmas :-)
You pay a premium for baby vegetables, Elsie :-)
Dec 2023
3:04pm, 22 Dec 2023
7,213 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Harvested my parsnips a couple of weeks ago - some have woody cores, so have prepared all - outer parts sliced and frozen (will be roasted for Christmas day and beyond), inner core cubed and used for soup making with my butternut squash. My Brussels are also small but we tried a few a day or so ago and they were fine, so shall harvest on Christmas morning straight into the pan :)
Dec 2023
3:09pm, 22 Dec 2023
66,964 posts
  •  
Raptor Tat Tat
Remind me again why I grow pretty flowers in my garden and buy vegetables from shops muppet
Dec 2023
3:30pm, 22 Dec 2023
7,214 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Mrs TR and I complement each other: I have no interest in flowers but enjoy growing veg, she enjoys getting the garden looking pretty with flowers but has no interest in growing veg :)
Dec 2023
3:58pm, 22 Dec 2023
66,967 posts
  •  
Raptor Tat Tat
My grandparents grew and preserved lots of vegetables. I suspect they despaired that their daughter married a man who preferred to grow flowers and their son probably never ate a vegetable or did a hand's turn of gardening in his adult life.

I managed potatoes once. And broccoli, but it broke my heart when, despite having picked it over carefully, lots of little dead caterpillars rose to the surface of the water when I boiled it.
Dec 2023
4:38pm, 22 Dec 2023
11,279 posts
  •  
A Rae in a manger
I used to love growing veg and not see the point of purely ornamental things, but now with dogs that love nothing more than shitting all over the raised beds as soon as I'm not looking, it has seemed safest not to try growing anything for human consumption.

I could maybe go for some crops in pots next year, if we ever clear the patio near the house enough to get some decent sized pots on the go.
Dec 2023
6:18pm, 22 Dec 2023
22,921 posts
  •  
I saw 3Ms come sailing in
I finally cleared the raised bed of brassicas last weekend (and harvested a double portion of purple sprouting broccoli!).

Dug over, chicken pellet manured, and onion sets planted. 104 bulbs!
Dec 2023
7:04pm, 22 Dec 2023
2,576 posts
  •  
Snail
At the novice end of this thread - but grew my 1st pumpkin this year. The plant only produced one pumpkin, but it was quite large - so recently turned that into lots of a very nice soup
Dec 2023
5:11pm, 23 Dec 2023
3,403 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Can you train yourself to like gardening?
I lack patience and tend to kill most things I try to grow - probably due to neglect!
The lack of success I think puts me off, so it's a vicious cycle and I never get any better.

I'd like a mix of pretty and practical.

I really miss our old garden, it was huge. OH did all the growing - we had a greenhouse, proper compost heap, several raised beds and a herb garden.
Plus all the borders and trees and flowers.

Sigh.
Dec 2023
7:33pm, 23 Dec 2023
7,217 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I'm lucky that I have my veg garden just beyond our main garden through a gate that the dogs aren't allowed through.

This was end of June - before the french beans hid the rest of the right hand side. It's not ideal as it has limited direct sunlight but this has been my first year with this setup and I've been pleased overall

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.