Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

2 lurkers | 169 watchers
Aug 2020
12:52pm, 29 Aug 2020
11,044 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I've got a mini loom, LMH. I've not made anything practical with it but I really enjoy the process. My kit was a total impulse buy so I probably paid over the odds - it was around £30 for the loom, a few basic tools and some wool.
Aug 2020
1:31pm, 29 Aug 2020
3,231 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Thanks LN. I think I'll probably start with a kit and hope that I take to it. I have a fair bit of random wool from knitting blankets for Battersea Dogs Home which I can play with before committing to something more expensive if i do get on with it.
Aug 2020
2:34pm, 29 Aug 2020
21,213 posts
  •  
Meglet
How about spinning? Drop spindles are small and portable. Even if you can’t use the yarn you make there’d be plenty of people who could, I’m sure.

Beading? Though that might require threading a needle.

Painting or colouring? Glass painting? Print making? (See Sombrero’s work). Have a trip round Hobbycraft or somewhere similar (we have a garden centre with a big craft section) to see what takes your fancy. I could go crazy in Hobbycraft!!
Aug 2020
3:12pm, 29 Aug 2020
48,207 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I wonder if it's possible to hire or borrow a tabletop loom to see how you get on with it. (I'm wondering for me too, I'm weaving-curious but am not going to buy more crafting hardware.)
Aug 2020
4:11pm, 29 Aug 2020
4,967 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Tablet weaving? Doesn't need much kit but keeps hands busy.
Aug 2020
5:04pm, 29 Aug 2020
3,233 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Thanks for the suggestions Meglet. I enjoyed painting and drawing when I was younger but have been left with a bad case of ‘nothing I do is good enough’ which means it’s no longer enjoyable. Did a fair amount of glass painting as OT but wouldn’t inflict my work on anyone else and don’t need any more tea light holders etc. Print making wouldn’t be pick up and put down enough even if I could get over my issues.

I’ve ordered a small weaving kit to try - hoping it arrives in time for me to take on holiday at the end of next week.

V’rap - maybe an appeal on your local FB group would locate one?
Aug 2020
5:41pm, 29 Aug 2020
18,478 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Tatting?
I got a kit for £5

Can’t comment on how easy it is as never used it 🤪
Looked great at the craft fair I was at though
Aug 2020
5:43pm, 29 Aug 2020
27,121 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I’ve always fancied the white work embroidery with the fancy name I can’t quite remember, but I really don’t need another craft
Aug 2020
5:44pm, 29 Aug 2020
27,122 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Hardanger, that’s what i meant - i had to look it up
Aug 2020
5:45pm, 29 Aug 2020
27,123 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I’ve got a rag rug kit i got from someone’s Ravelry destash - I must have a go at that soon

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557