Knitting, crocheting and general craftery

1 lurker | 169 watchers
Aug 2020
9:07pm, 18 Aug 2020
18,358 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Was it someone on here who was interested in salt for soap?
I still have 3 unused jars and doubt I’ll ever open them if someone is in my area and interested
Aug 2020
10:24am, 19 Aug 2020
5,395 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
It was me, but I've found the best salt for soap is very simple fine sea salt. I made a couple of batches with Himalayan and it was quite scratchy...
Aug 2020
10:26am, 19 Aug 2020
18,360 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
OK No worries!
Aug 2020
7:25am, 29 Aug 2020
5,401 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
I shared this on FB, but lots of you aren't there... yarny people might want to share the following with your loved ones who are searching for a gift for you for Christmas!

facebook.com
Aug 2020
7:31am, 29 Aug 2020
27,118 posts
  •  
HellsBells
My sister bought me a lovely yarn bowl, however I never use it. It is very pretty sat on the coffee table though.

I have just surfaced from the mask furore and have put the Etsy shop into holiday mode for at least a week.
I’ve a shirt that needs buttons and button holes and 2 jumpers that are barely started as well as fabric ready for another 2 shirts and a T shirt
Aug 2020
10:59am, 29 Aug 2020
3,227 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Does anyone weave? I'm looking for a new hobby - can't sew, my knitting tension is rubbish and am having difficulty threading a needle for counted cross stitch. I want something that is portable and that I can just pick up and put down, no need to get lots of things out and put them away again and I thought weaving might fit the bill. I guess a small beginners kit is the best way to test the waters without potentially wasting too much money?
Aug 2020
11:04am, 29 Aug 2020
5,402 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
Crochet?

I would have thought you'd need a loom for weaving...a fairly bulky bit of kit. Or do you mean basket weaving?
Aug 2020
11:08am, 29 Aug 2020
3,229 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I would love to crochet WL but have been unable to learn, even with the help of a very accomplished friend and lots of You Tube tutorials. You can get everything from mini looms to huge ones so I thought I'd start with something small and therefore portable.
Aug 2020
11:18am, 29 Aug 2020
1,495 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
How about Kumihimo, Japanese cord making. I’ve used it to make cords for key rings and my embroidery scissors, lanyards etc. Lots of different patterns.
Aug 2020
11:27am, 29 Aug 2020
3,230 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's very pretty Silvershadow and something I've not heard of before but I don't think I'd find enough use for the cords. I'm hoping that I could eventually make granny squares with the weaving and then a throw or blanket.

About This Thread

Maintained by Helegant
***NEWSFLASH***

Possible tour of the Strictly costume workshops?

Details here: dsi-london.com

The regular "Behind the Seams" tour starts with champagne, lasts about 2 hours and includes lots of crystals and swishy dresses.

DSI London headquarters

The Courtyard

131 Aurelia Road

Croydon

CR0 3BF

If anyone wants to organise a group booking then hand up now please. Groups are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday at 11am or 2pm.

Otherwise we could make individual bookings at £29 each (2pm Saturday or Tuesday)

A thread for those of us who like making 'stuff'.

Recommended yarn/craft shops: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=456

Lists of books/patterns http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=460

Fabric shops - bricks or on-line. fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=556

Article about sewing machines: fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=557