Coronavirus **support** thread

3 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
11:39am, 2 Jun 2020
11,701 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Bazo, that reminds me I need to cancel an hotel booked in July for a wedding that's postponed for 12 months! Thanks. I do feel for you on the flights/risk decision though - given the FCO advice on travel hasn't changed yet, I don't understand what the airlines are doing, TBH.

My F-i-L is still in Switzerland, not exactly stuck since it was his choice to stay there, but certainly it's getting "interesting" now about his general healthcare and meds. Paying for his macular injections in person has made him and us appreciate what we get on the NHS far more!

CStar, I suspect there's going to be a couple of year's worth of confused educational requirements. It's not a lot of help individually, but your son will be one of many, so at least he'll be on a broadly level playing field with all the others in his year group. Hopefully there's going to be some kind of provision for "catch-up" on any key educational achievements missed at a later stage, although I've not seen anything about that yet.
Jun 2020
11:49am, 2 Jun 2020
19,864 posts
  •  
Dvorak
What about ... Just shifting all exams to a year later? We don't need people leaving school to go into the workforce the same, maybe the educational systems, with an extra year, can be reorganised to actually educate kids instead of forcing them through the exams mincer; and when they consist exams, and go off to uni/ college/ into work they will be a year more mature.*

* Although they might just be a year older, and no more mature.
Jun 2020
11:50am, 2 Jun 2020
11,704 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
(But their x-box skills may be outstanding!)
Jun 2020
11:54am, 2 Jun 2020
17,602 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I expect a large proportion of GCSE kids (most schools now have 3 years to teach GCSE not 2) will have done little work or worked only on subjects they enjoy

There is talk of summer camps but the teachers won't have stopped working during lockdown so this is a massive ask
Jun 2020
11:55am, 2 Jun 2020
16,170 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Bazo - and the polio vaccine too. They're doing trials on it currently I believe to see if the results reproducible and not just anecdotes.

Cstar - the main risk is to teachers though and as a virus that also becomes a vascular infection which causes blood clots in the lungs etc etc, and a risk that increases one hundred fold if not one thousand fold indoors for people in continued (but not necessarily close) proximity, and with an infection rate not decreasing, they shouldn't even be back in my opinion. They should be sorting online lessons and continuing from there.

I have twins due to be doing GCSE next year in the same boat. And I'm married to a teacher, so I get to see all sides.
Jun 2020
11:55am, 2 Jun 2020
7,736 posts
  •  
CStar
LOL Dvorak.

I'm more frustrated at the DfE suddenly deciding that only 25% should be allowed back. the schools had planned for the whole year group and now have to reorganise things at short notice yet again and the kids suffer. They're just incompetent and taking risk aversion to a ridiculous level. The nonsense that is the Risk Assessment schools are having to do has to be seen to be believed. if this was applied to daily life no one would ever leave the house. If parents are worried about their particular children then they can keep them at home, but for the vast majority the children need to be back actually learning.
jda
Jun 2020
11:58am, 2 Jun 2020
7,521 posts
  •  
jda
EP, I keep on expecting to see something in the data in the next day or two....and it's just not there. Looking very flat, but that doesn't mean it isn't about to change.
Jun 2020
12:02pm, 2 Jun 2020
11,185 posts
  •  
larkim
@CStar - where have you seen the 25% DfE guidance? Professionally curious...
Jun 2020
12:03pm, 2 Jun 2020
17,603 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
interesting JDA

All sadness and tragedy aside I bet from a geeky data view you are loving this!
jda
Jun 2020
12:14pm, 2 Jun 2020
7,522 posts
  •  
jda
You're right EP I'm like a pig in shit with this stuff. Interesting science *and* it actually matters, in a way that most science doesn't really, at least not very much.

It wasn't so pleasant back in March when I'd managed to work out what was coming (and to be fair, so had a lot of people) while the govt was still in fingers-in-ears mode.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s