Coronavirus **support** thread

2 lurkers | 160 watchers
May 2020
5:42pm, 31 May 2020
45 posts
  •  
mathschick
EP - yeah go visit your mum, sit in the garden rather than meeting outside of the house then she won't come into contact with other people.

H - glad you are improving even though it is slow

MM - hope your mum keeps improving.

I am not changing anything for now, we love walking in the peak district, which isn't far for us, but from the news it looks like it is full of idiots with bbqs (which aren't allowed in the National Park area) and there have been some fires already. Think we will stay away for now
May 2020
5:51pm, 31 May 2020
46 posts
  •  
mathschick
mind you, you might want to read this and make up your own mind about visiting

theguardian.com
May 2020
5:52pm, 31 May 2020
2,351 posts
  •  
Canute
Helegant, that is good news. I hope Mr H soon recovers his energy
May 2020
5:54pm, 31 May 2020
2,620 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm not shielding but I don't feel as if my risk has decreased. I think going out should be safe for shielders assuming they can find somewhere that is mostly unpopulated, but I'm not sure that interaction with anyone who may potentially be carrying the virus (which is anyone who hasn't been at least self isolating I'd say) is sensible.
May 2020
6:20pm, 31 May 2020
16,893 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Good news from Helegant and MandyM.
I’m glad I have no option but to stay at home for the next 2 weeks. I think school will be as safe as it can be - I’ve planned it all so carefully so staff can maintain 2m distance and hand washing will be practised by everyone frequently - but things such as visits to the supermarket feel less safe now; behaviour is getting silly with people taking careless and unnecessary risks eg beach visits, bbqs with too many households present, groups of people out together.
I’m back to ordering alcohol from Amazon to avoid the shops 😁
May 2020
6:56pm, 31 May 2020
16,315 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I'm still going to be staying away from people as much as possible.

I just wish husband wasn't going out to work every day - actually no I don't, I'm glad he's out every day, I just wish he wasn't potentially coming in to contact with people!

I can pretty much isolate from eldest, who is at the most risk of bringing something home but he's very aware of that and sticking to the "decon" routine when he gets home.

I hope that's enough for me to be able to visit mum in her garden without posing more than a minimal risk
May 2020
7:18pm, 31 May 2020
10,605 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
So, is it wise to have all these changes to lockdown happening at more or less the same time? I thought the plan was to introduce changes gradually so if the R rate went up they would know what to reverse. This feels like an IT problem where instead of doing proper troubleshooting you chuck everything at it and hope something sticks.

Or is it the case that the government is reacting to public behaviour? They can see people starting to break lockdown so change the rules to allow it?

Getting very disillusioned now. I have to do a train journey for work on Tuesday and I'm slightly scared at what's going to be out there :-(
jda
May 2020
7:55pm, 31 May 2020
7,513 posts
  •  
jda
Looks very flat to me, which leads me to think that we are probably turning the corner and about to go up rather than down. I don't see what is going to be reducing transmission from here on unless warmer weather has a strong effect (which no-one really thinks it does). It's all a bit sad.
May 2020
7:56pm, 31 May 2020
17,565 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Too many changes means they can’t say which change caused the issue when numbers go up

My hubby also goes to work and mixes with others the whole time

I’m thinking I’ll hold off seeing mum. I desperately want to but it’s a long trip so I would potentially have to stop too

Not worth putting her at risk
jda
May 2020
7:56pm, 31 May 2020
7,514 posts
  •  
jda
"They can see people starting to break lockdown so change the rules to allow it? "

Well they certainly saw one person breaking lockdown and decided the rules had to be retrospectively changed to allow it.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s