•  
jennyh
Sorry to hear that DQ xx
Jun 2020
12:59pm, 11 Jun 2020
12,849 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I think some are getting fed up with it all and bend the guidance to suit themselves. Which I am trying not to get stressed about as I can only control what I do and not what others are doing.
Jun 2020
12:59pm, 11 Jun 2020
2,728 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That is good news Elsie.

EP - a couple of friends of mine had similar phone calls with their GP/consultant at the start but were then not included in the shielding category. No harm in being cautious if that's what she feels more comfortable with though if she insists she is shielding that does mean you can't take advantage of the new bubble thing.
Jun 2020
1:01pm, 11 Jun 2020
17,688 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
yeah she last went out (other than cemetery) 12th March
shes pretty scared TBH and is constantly berating everyone who is going out and about and protesting
I don't think she is physically or mentally strong enough to fit it if she got it though
Jun 2020
1:16pm, 11 Jun 2020
51,610 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Ultra cat. I think a lot of people have been doing what the heck they like
One colleague at work has had visitors and barbecues. Another has been away in a motor home.

That is doctor colleagues btw.
Pix. Your poor mum. That's no way for her to live xxx
Jun 2020
1:20pm, 11 Jun 2020
11,239 posts
  •  
larkim
As I drove home from work last night through a residential area, one house had a large bouncy-castle (clearly hired - not a domestic sized one) with countless children up and down it and parents galore in the front garden, birthday bunting up all over the place. Quite brazenly having no regard to what the guidance says. I'm no net curtain twitcher, but even that level of non-compliance surprised me.

That being said, I probably passed 1000 other houses where such blatant guidance breaches were not taking place, and those households aren't getting the credit.
Jun 2020
1:21pm, 11 Jun 2020
16,564 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Mum is getting fed up with "almost" shielding - she'll be struggling a bit in this weather as she won't be in the garden all day like she has been. She says a lot of her friends just ignored their letters and go out and about all the time, but others, shielding or not are holed up indoors and don't even answer the door.
Heart valve replacement that nearly killed her in 2014, has a pacemaker and is 80. No shielding letter but has her routine meds delivered directly (?)
Jun 2020
1:22pm, 11 Jun 2020
16,565 posts
  •  
Rosehip
-Hipps - I can't remember where I saw it but a local outbreak is thought to have been the result of a consultant having a big birthday party...
Jun 2020
1:23pm, 11 Jun 2020
47,084 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I think my parents, neither of whom has cognitive impairment or needs to shield, are spending too much time playing Chinese whispers with one another regarding family estrangements in the absence of anything else to talk about and have developed a sort of folie a deux whereby they believe my sibling and my oldest daughter have said and done things that never happened. My daughter got a nasty message from my mother yesterday containing an accusation that was news to everyone.
Jun 2020
1:40pm, 11 Jun 2020
19 posts
  •  
Tikka
Larkim, on the last evening of "clap for the NHS", one of the houses in my street decided it would be a good idea to mark the occasion with a come-all-ye barbecue. There were about 12 households, adults and children, in the front garden and spilling out into the street, no social distancing at all. I had to turn back when I reached the house when I was out on my run as there was no way to get past without brushing right up against someone. Outrageous behaviour. It's people like this that make me determined to continue with self isolation/social distancing, regardless of how the law/guidelines are relaxed, until such times as there are no new cases of the virus.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s