Coronavirus **support** thread

1 lurker | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
9:15am, 11 Jun 2020
3,577 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Yep, that's my understanding ET. My parents both over 90 and in decent health, never got a shielding letter. Have been going out for a walk most days.
Jun 2020
9:26am, 11 Jun 2020
6,356 posts
  •  
TeeBee
My dad, 84, healthy is not shielding. I've seen him twice since we've been able to meet up outdoors. It's been wonderful.
Jun 2020
9:30am, 11 Jun 2020
11,236 posts
  •  
larkim
Yep, the 70 thing was an early misunderstanding because the govt initially tried to put all over 70s into a lockdown state early on (and referred to it, informally, as shielding them), and then when we all went into lockdown, shielding was introduced as a formal concept. So there was lots of discussion in the first 4 weeks or so about all the over 70s out for walks etc with people under the misapprehension that all over 70s had to be indoors, all of the time.

In reality, the guidance just said to be extra vigilant - unless you were in receipt of a specific shielding letter.

Of my parents / in laws, all over 75, my parents are broadly in good health and both have visited shops recently, been regularly walking, done garden meet ups etc. My in-laws are in less good health, and my MIL won't even step outside into her own garden - she refused point blank for paramedics to take her to hospital after a light fall a few weeks ago and FIL also won't leave their property. Their choice, but my wife and her sisters are concerned about their general health getting no exercise or vit D etc.
Jun 2020
9:35am, 11 Jun 2020
51,607 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Being over 70 is no reason to shield.

There is a very specific list of conditions for shielding
Jun 2020
9:42am, 11 Jun 2020
16,559 posts
  •  
Rosehip
and my MiL has been told to shield, but insists on going to Tesco with FiL on an almost daily basis. I doubt v much they are adhering to garden only meetings either.
Husband has gone to see them today, for the first time since "lockdown" - armed with a flask of coffee and warm clothes to sit in the garden, whilst they sit in the conservatory - bet they will argue with him!
Jun 2020
9:43am, 11 Jun 2020
2,631 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Thanks for the confirmation all. I thought I had missunderstood something then!
Jun 2020
10:35am, 11 Jun 2020
35,157 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ah, sorry, my misunderstanding. My Mum is 83 and has COPD and is shielding, so that's my only experience. I thought all over 70s had been told to shield, as more vulnerable. Good to know that good health means that is not necessary.

Rosehip, that's how I sit with my Mum. She often says "oh I can just give you a chair or a cup or get you a sandwich" and I'm like "Noooo!" but she is pretty good. :-) G
Jun 2020
11:54am, 11 Jun 2020
19,931 posts
  •  
Dvorak
My mother got her continued shielding (to 31st July) letter yesterday. It made here quite miserable. As i mentioned here (now months ago) as my mother, though elderly, has only moderate controlled asthma, not sure why she's on the list. She has been going out a couple of times a week, in the car when I go shopping, but staying in the car; and even went into the butcher twice (no customers, and the cleanest shop in town).

I know that she had been looking forward to the end of shielding, so I said to her that it was guidance, and if she wanted I'd take her to some shop late (when it's near empty) and guard her round. She replied that she was getting scared to ever go out again. This is terrible :-(
Jun 2020
11:56am, 11 Jun 2020
4,859 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
That's my redundancy consultation under way - telephone meeting on the 23rd :(
Jun 2020
11:57am, 11 Jun 2020
17,686 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
my mum is shielding (started off her choice but GP confirmed though never had a letter) as she has had a replacement heart valve.
She has also said how terribly lonely she is but does not want to go out (apart from the odd visit to dad's grave)
she won't even allow a friend who has been shielding to visit for a garden drink as friends husband has been out
it's not good

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s