Coronavirus **support** thread

160 watchers
Jun 2020
12:01pm, 11 Jun 2020
51,608 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I've just been for my appraisal in a hospital on the other side of Cardiff. My colleague is a geriatrician who runs a bone clinic.

She was telling me about how she has seen many of her sprightly elderly patients deteriorate physically because they have been staying in
Jun 2020
12:01pm, 11 Jun 2020
51,609 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Sorry Doric xx
Jun 2020
12:02pm, 11 Jun 2020
37,742 posts
  •  
LindsD
My OH got a shielding text and phone call but discussed it with the GP and got taken off the list. I think other people here have done that.
Jun 2020
12:02pm, 11 Jun 2020
37,743 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sorry DQ (())
Jun 2020
12:03pm, 11 Jun 2020
2,632 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
The guidelines regarding asthma and shielding have changed a lot since the start. The new definition of "Severe asthma" in relation to shielding is given by asthma uk as:

You have asthma, AND
You are taking certain extra controller medicines as well as a preventer inhaler (for example, you are taking Montelukast, salmeterol or formoterol, or you are on a combination inhaler like Seretide, Fostair, Symbicort, Flutiform, Fobumix, DuoResp Spiromax, Combisal, Sereflo, Sirdupla, Aloflute, AirFluSal, Relvar Ellipta, Fusacomb or Stalpex), AND
You are taking continuous or frequent oral steroids.

source of this info is: asthma.org.uk
Jun 2020
12:10pm, 11 Jun 2020
4,116 posts
  •  
run free
PH - agree with your colleague. My relatives & folk are physically and mentally deteriorating from lack of exercise and lack of change of scenery and very little I can do.
Jun 2020
12:16pm, 11 Jun 2020
2,726 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that DQ.

EP - I didn't think having had a heart valve replaced was a criteria for shielding>

Elsie - the asthma guidelines changed so many times in the first few weeks it was difficult to keep up! Fortunately I was just below the threshold for shielding from the start - I'd have been well fed up if I'd spent weeks shielding and then they told me I didn't need to.

I feel that changing the social distancing guidance to 1m would be an economic decision to enable pubs/restaurants/shops to have more customers - don't think it would make much difference other than that. The people I see out are rarely that far apart, often because there just isn't room especially if someone is coming the other way. Not sure I'd feel comfortable about a decrease in the distance inside though.
Jun 2020
12:21pm, 11 Jun 2020
17,687 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
LMH she did speak to the GP

I guess they took everything into account - she never just gets a cold always seems to end up with bronchitis and anti-biotics

She has to take Anti Bs to visit the dentist

then there is .... loads!
Jun 2020
12:39pm, 11 Jun 2020
8,436 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
My mum was told ny her GP that her TAVI (minimally invasive valve replacement) just a year ago didn't mean she was in the shielding category.

My fit and healthy ten year old, however, got a shielding letter out of nowhere. We contacted the GP who resolved it and then got a shirty letter telling us we shouldn't have tried to register him as shielding as there was no need.
Jun 2020
12:55pm, 11 Jun 2020
2,633 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
My son fell into the severe asthma category at the start and we got a shielding letter. He no longer meets the criteria and having spoken with the dr at the hospital Yesterday that looks after his asthma since his last hospital stay, we have decided to relax a little on the shielding. It is a relief that hubby can go back to work when he is asked to and continue to live in the sane house as us. We thought we may need to move out at that point.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s