Coronavirus **support** thread

2 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
11:55pm, 4 Jun 2020
4,098 posts
  •  
run free
Cornwall don't like outsiders..... d'ya think they can have independence from the rest of England?
Jun 2020
6:22am, 5 Jun 2020
2,653 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It's the people driving along in their cars on their own with their masks round their necks that I see and people walking down empty streets wearing them - I really don't think that the majority of people understand that they offer them no protection.

Hope it's negative and that you feel better soon TMW. It seems to be one thing after another for you at the moment.

There seems to be quite a few people feeling that if they are in the own mobile home and not using services somewhere it's ok to go where they want and stay overnight.

I've found it quite strange that you can take a taxi ride somewhere but not have a family member who lives separately take you out in their car - which is likely to be safest?
Jun 2020
6:56am, 5 Jun 2020
10,318 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
We drive from Durham to St Ives Huntington last Saturday left at 06.45. Cleaned & prepped the boat and left at 5 to drive home arrived back at 20.20 (in time to watch the dragon launch 🚀)

It would have been lovely to stay over it was a long day, someone there said people are staying discreetly in their boats, as we are fully self contained, we wouldn’t as it is not allowed.

People will follow their personal risk (as we’ve discussed many times before) so a self contained campervan/caravan where someone just wants to escape their 4 walls who may know they won’t leave the van for more than just allowed exercise, they will bring their own food and eat on board, have toilet and shower facilities are potentially posing less risk than someone local who just wanders around picking up touching things, standing too close, having large gatherings
Jun 2020
7:00am, 5 Jun 2020
10,319 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Oops

Larger than allowed gatherings.

It’s hard but unless the police are policing the more that does it the more that will assess their risk to be low.

At the marina our neighbours told me they know some are staying over. The marina have said they can’t enforce us not to stay but we wouldn’t as a) it’s not allowed and b) if we did others might think there are more people staying so we will too and it escalates.

Guidance to relax to say if you have the ability to stay self contained elsewhere will be amazing but until this opens up access to hotels, holiday parks, camp sites I can’t see it happening.
Jun 2020
7:22am, 5 Jun 2020
16,621 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
LMH - why do you say masks offer no protection ? Intuitively to me while I can see flaws with them and dont really fancy wearing one, I can also see that they can help reduce the spread.

While they may not stop germs getting out, they must restrict them a little. i.e. when I wear a buff my glasses steam up as I breathe so its changed the airflow. They must also stop bugs getting in as easily and will also stop people touching mouths and noses

Granted they are not perfect but there must be some benefit.
CK2
Jun 2020
8:54am, 5 Jun 2020
402 posts
  •  
CK2
I’m curious about the use of masks as we’re further into lockdown or even coming out of it. I made a poll -
- my first! Incidentally I don’t mask but mainly as I live in a rural area and hardly ever go out.
Jun 2020
8:57am, 5 Jun 2020
17,627 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
not used anything yet TBH
wouldn't whilst running or walking as 98% of the time I see no one
only time I am near people for more than a few seconds is queuing for super market
Jun 2020
8:58am, 5 Jun 2020
46,930 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Only work for me. I carry a surgical mask when I'm shopping in case I'm expected to or want to wear one. But I'm hardly going anywhere apart from work or out to exercise.
Jun 2020
8:58am, 5 Jun 2020
6,524 posts
  •  
sallykate
There’s a discussion of masks’ effectiveness here: medium.com

I’ll wear one on public transport (not that I can remember the last time I was on a bus - at least two weeks ago now) but not walking down the road or in shops.
Jun 2020
9:05am, 5 Jun 2020
11,695 posts
  •  
Ness
For me, only at work. I’m not sure what PPE we should have when helping young people in our school who need personal care. I’m assuming face masks. We use aprons and gloves as a norm anyway.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s