Coronavirus **support** thread

160 watchers
Jun 2020
11:50am, 5 Jun 2020
12,844 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I have plenty of buffs to wear, daughter gave us some disposal masks they had bought months ago before lockdown as they had holidays booked to Far East (which were cancelled), I bought some from diabetes website for OH.

I wear buff when running and walking outside, carry disposal mask in bag to use as required. I think I would wear one if I ever need to go on public transport.

They are not comfortable to wear and trying to run and breathe with a buff over your mouth and nose is not pleasant. Also warm weather deters you from wearing a buff.
Jun 2020
11:55am, 5 Jun 2020
64,365 posts
  •  
swittle
What happens when 'the science' takes a wrong turning? The Lancet withdraws paper on hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19.

theguardian.com
Jun 2020
12:09pm, 5 Jun 2020
6,526 posts
  •  
sallykate
I've made some masks for friends, using it as a way to raise money for a local charity.
Jun 2020
12:46pm, 5 Jun 2020
1,147 posts
  •  
Roberto
I've been for a test this morning as well hp. Woke with a pounding head, tickly throat and coughing a lot.

Having had more direct contact at work recently, decided to take the cautious approach and get tested.

It's a very surreal process only a couple of other cars there getting tested.
Jun 2020
12:52pm, 5 Jun 2020
6,802 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Since I returned to work on 18 May, I've (all of us) been wearing these:

at work (everywhere, except when outside, or when eating/drinking/smoking). Mandatory, and also 2m distancing still in place unless impossible to do so, and then only temporarily.

It's *slightly* annoying, but it's OK. Glasses steam up, and so we have various mitigation measures for that (we're all safety glasses wearers when out on the factory floor, but not in offices). Including:
- the little plastic nose clip you can see in the picture - does a reasonable job of 'sealing' the mask to bridge of nose, reducing the amount of exhaled air coming upwards out of mask)
- using lens wipes on glasses reduces fogging a bit
- I'm told that rubbing thin layers of shaving foam, or other soapy substnace, reduces fogging (not tried).

It *might* be overkill for the amount of time we each spend close to each other, but it's really not a massive deal, and our employer is playing safe.

There's absolutely no question in my mind that it's better than nothing (from a transmission POV). And that it doesn't have to be perfect, or medical-grade. Something is better than nothing. And completely makes sense in a public transport situation.
Jun 2020
12:54pm, 5 Jun 2020
6,803 posts
  •  
paul the builder
We're presented with 2 of these masks every day on arrival at site (and a non-contact temperature check). I'd guess we have about 50-60% staff back working now, so that's 300-odd folk, 600 masks per day being given out. Don't know where they come from, but there *are* supplies of masks out there in large numbers.
Jun 2020
1:15pm, 5 Jun 2020
8,139 posts
  •  
KatieB
They’re out there but quite expensive. The IIR surgical masks are £40 for 50 masks. That’s the level I need for working face to face with patients who have been screened (not tested) and are thought to be not infectious.
Jun 2020
1:28pm, 5 Jun 2020
3,913 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
WW’s company has been looking at buying them, both for staff and re-sale. Many of them have fake or non-compliant safety certificates. (NHS kit from Turkey etc . . . )
Jun 2020
1:49pm, 5 Jun 2020
2,659 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
At least the tests are coming back quite quickly now Roberto so hopefully it's just an inconvenient couple of days.

I've just been told I probably won't be back on site and working face to face until at least December :-(
Jun 2020
1:56pm, 5 Jun 2020
2,364 posts
  •  
Canute
swittle
'Science' did not take a wrong turning, but people who were eager to over-interpret a single peer reviewed paper were in danger of being misled.

'Science' does face a serious challenge when it attempts to offer useful guidance in an emergency. The best we can hope for is that the findings of studies are rapildy exposed to wide-ranging scrutiny. That process appears to have worked in this case.

It is also why I have been a critic of the claim that SAGE could offer sound 'scientific' advice when it was not open to scrutiny. Fortunately SAGE and its advisors have been exposed to greater public scrutiny in the past few weeks. Decision making is harder when the evidence is challenged. Nonetheless, scientific investigation does still have a crucial part to play in responding to CV-19. We do need a good understanding of the nature of scientific evidence

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s