Coronavirus **support** thread

160 watchers
Jun 2020
9:11am, 5 Jun 2020
10,321 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
If I go on public transport (highly unlikely) I will wear a buff.

I did used to run with a buff around my neck that I could put on if I passed another person as at the time there was a lot of media panic about runners spreading the virus because 'obviously' we were highly contagious people. But more recently I haven't bothered. I do step out of the way if someone is coming the other way.

The only place I see other humans that could be 'too close' is the supermarket and the ones I find likely to get too close are wearing a mask and/or gloves. They seem to think wearing gloves allows them to pick up everything then putting it back down.

Friends in HK feel that wearing masks indoors/public transport/shopping malls has made a big impact on controlling the virus over there but again they know how to wear them and that wearing them doesn't make you immune.
Jun 2020
9:12am, 5 Jun 2020
2,654 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Unless there has been new research which I haven't seen Baz (and I'm not following it that closely) the evidence suggests that at best non surgical masks prevent droplets travelling as far from an infected person, similar to the effect of coughing or sneezing into a tissue - which is good obviously - but they also encourage people to feel safe and therefore not maintain social distancing which is more effective and often mean that people end up putting their hands to their face to fiddle with the mask. This can potentially lead not just to them being more likely to be infected (if they have touched a contaminated surface) but also to contaminate surfaces if they are infected. That is just my opinion based on what I've read though.
Jun 2020
9:16am, 5 Jun 2020
3,571 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
If you feel a sneeze coming, whilst wearing a mask, are you supposed to just sneeze into the mask, or lower the mask and sneeze into a tissue ?
Jun 2020
9:16am, 5 Jun 2020
17,938 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I’d wear one where I can’t maintain SD for a period over a minute - so not for passing someone quickly or in an empty shop unless I have any kind of cough or cold. Thanks for the article Sally
If it is 1 in 200 who are very infectious (Ie must people don’t transmit but some transmit a lot) an app is more likely to be helpful
Jun 2020
9:17am, 5 Jun 2020
17,939 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Thanks for the article SK
Jun 2020
9:18am, 5 Jun 2020
17,628 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
my supermarket queue may be long (10-15mins queuing) but most people are stood 2-3m away so probably little risk
Jun 2020
9:18am, 5 Jun 2020
51,581 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Just for work
Jun 2020
9:21am, 5 Jun 2020
17,940 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Gus the mask I made includes a kitchen towel filter so I guess I’d be sneezing into that and then having a whole rigmarole to replace it
Jun 2020
9:35am, 5 Jun 2020
13,679 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I haven't yet because I haven't really been anywhere - no public transport, just the supermarket. At the supermarket I tend to go to the little shop at fairly quiet times (I think today there were only two or three customers). I often carry a buff which I can use if I need to, but have never felt that I'm close enough to anyone to need it.

Occasionally if I'm heading out on/coming back from a bike ride and it's busy close to home I pull up my neck buff (if it's cold enough to wear one) over my mouth nose, but I can only manage that for a few minutes before I need to breathe properly!
Jun 2020
9:47am, 5 Jun 2020
16,622 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Sometimes there can be no time to react to a sneeze. In the early days I had just emerged from a shop with a full trolley and wax heading to the car and a massive sneeze happened. I got loads of dirty looks from people and genuinely had no time to react. A mask at least would have minimised the potential risk.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s