Coronavirus **support** thread

2 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
9:53am, 5 Jun 2020
31,326 posts
  •  
halfpint
Well that was a bizarre experience. I’ve had a bit of a cough since Tues which I am 90% sure is my asthma objecting to lots of pollen. I’ve also been feeling a bit out of sorts. After some debate I realised I needed to do the responsible thing and get a test. A handy video had prepared me for the actual test. The rest of the experience was surreal though. Communication through laminated signs and various mobiles. Many many people in high viz making hand signals.
CK2
Jun 2020
9:54am, 5 Jun 2020
403 posts
  •  
CK2
A very useful article SK - thank you. I’m tempted by basic masks to protect others once I’m out and about more, but I’m asthmatic so cough a fair bit and would hope this would alleviate concerns from those around me (as well as virus spread if I unknowingly had CV). I did like Tim’s earlier link to masks, as at least we could have fun with the design. But like others, I fear that a combination of inappropriate use and lack of social distancing could negate their effectiveness.
Jun 2020
10:18am, 5 Jun 2020
496 posts
  •  
Non-runner
We had at least two known non-socially distanced gatherings of young adults over the weekend, more than 50 on Wetherby Ings (where the parkrun is held) with barbecues, NO2, drink etc, and a rave of up to 100 on the Wharfe beach at Tadcaster that even had a DJ and left loads of litter including the generator! Photos are on local social media and it is evident that there was lots of very close contact. It makes me wonder why I should bother sometimes; they must all have families and possibly vulnerable relatives. OTOH, having being young once, I empathise as there is nothing else for them to do, no nightclubs or other options. The police moved on the Wetherby lot after complaints but no fines or other lockdown breach consequences.
Jun 2020
10:20am, 5 Jun 2020
16,437 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I was going to make youngest some masks since he's the only one likely to be on public transport - but he decided he'd rather wear something like these:
redbubble.com

so I said if he buys them I'll add filter and lining if I think they need them - apparently, masks are going to be the next fashion thing for teens - he's never ever been remotely interested in fashion of any sort before!

I think I shall just carry a surgical mask with me but hope not to be in a situation where I need to wear it - I'm just avoiding going anywhere with people!
Jun 2020
10:24am, 5 Jun 2020
1,169 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
When I need to go to the shops etc, I wear my homemade one. I don't for runs as I pick quiet routes and move aside as much as I can.

It's a palaver. I wash my hands to put it on, as I have to fiddle around quite a bit to get the mask, glasses and hearing aid in the right position, then wash my hands again and go out. I wish I felt less of a wally while wearing it, but I'll get used to it.
um
Jun 2020
10:37am, 5 Jun 2020
2,608 posts
  •  
um
Sportsshoes have buffs at 2 for £2.99 if wanted ... I got some a few weeks back.
sportsshoes.com
Jun 2020
10:43am, 5 Jun 2020
35,091 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've got a squillion buffs. Like YP though, I can't have them pulled up over nose and mouth while running for any duration. They're fine for walking round the shops. You look like a bit of a bandit though! Esp the Fetch black one! :-) G
Jun 2020
11:39am, 5 Jun 2020
2,657 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
There really is no evidence for masks outdoors.

I hope you don't have to self isolate for too long whilst waiting for the result halfpint.

There seem to be a lot of enterprising people making money (or trying to) with masks.
MH
Jun 2020
11:44am, 5 Jun 2020
682 posts
  •  
MH
I got a couple of homemade masks on Etsy - quite a few options, mostly like the link that Tim posted - dressmakers that have turned their hands to mask making. I bought them just in case we had to start wearing them. Pretty good, fiver each and they have a 'pocket' where you can add a 'filter'. I would use a coffee filter paper, if needed.
Haven't worn yet, generally don't used public transport apart from the tube every now and then (and don't intend doing that for a while...)
Jun 2020
11:48am, 5 Jun 2020
11,414 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
A lady in our village has made 250 masks for nothing but donations to NHS charities. She's done a great job. I will only wear one for going to a busy supermarket - no need for me otherwise.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s