Coronavirus discussion thread

1 lurker | 136 watchers
Aug 2021
8:30am, 1 Aug 2021
16,924 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
The Halle have been working with a company that make a PCR test that only needs a nasal swab. If we return to our offices we'll do them too. We went to a friend's party last weekend and did LFT in the morning. Personally it gave me peace of mind - there were a couple of vulnerable people there, if I had later found I had it and had passed it on, I would have found it hard to forgive myself. For me 'learning to live with it' means accepting that things do need to be different.
Aug 2021
9:02am, 1 Aug 2021
12,406 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
The reality is that covid is still out there. I probably had it in the first wave, had had both my jabs and *still* caught it again. I don't have a bad case but I've still had to take 4 days off work. When I had it the first time it took several months to get back to normal so I've got my fingers crossed that that doesn't happen again.

I'll be wearing masks and taking tests for as long as it's recommended, to me it's a very small inconvenience.
Aug 2021
9:23am, 1 Aug 2021
8,980 posts
  •  
Meeps
Doing the twice weekly tests has helped my son get back into school when he was very close to having mental problems, that's totally worth it and no, I don't think we are the small minority.
um
Aug 2021
9:26am, 1 Aug 2021
4,990 posts
  •  
um
Tim's return to normal sounds more like 'ignore it and hope'.

But more and more I see that we're on a path that means everyone gets it - and as per evolution, only those that survive it or get a minor impact survive. The hard blunt end of evolution, aided by the vaccines.

The vaccine, tests etc seem in place just to slow the spread down and not 'overload' the NHS, as opposed to preventing the spread.
Aug 2021
9:36am, 1 Aug 2021
3,493 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Again, I would make one key point. Your views are far, far from being typical. Also, most people don't regard a world of mask wearing, track and trace, isolating and testing as minor inconveniences.
Aug 2021
9:39am, 1 Aug 2021
25,499 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Yep. I see things that way too. Some bloke on Twitter - older male and quite portly - was bragging about staying unjabbed and unafraid. Well, we will see how that one turns out.
(A Ukipper - funny how so many of the macho non-jabbers/selfish nuts happen to be rabid rightwinger too.)
Aug 2021
9:47am, 1 Aug 2021
4,794 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I disagree Tim. ons.gov.uk
Aug 2021
9:54am, 1 Aug 2021
32,134 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Most people I mix with regard a world of mask wearing, track and trace, isolating and testing a minor inconveniences.

If doing the above helps to keep people we come into contact safer then why wouldn’t we do it?
Aug 2021
9:58am, 1 Aug 2021
3,494 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Our rowing club takes out a skiff many times a week, with four rowers and a cox. Most of the people who go out in her are bright, politically left-leaning, and in good physical shape. Several are NHS front-line staff. We've talked about Covid, as there are protocols for the boat. But people don't mask whilst rowing, take tests beforehand.
Aug 2021
10:01am, 1 Aug 2021
3,495 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Little Miss Happy

An interesting article, but not relevant here in Scotland. Face masks are law and are likely to continue so for a goodly while.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.