BIKE THREAD

2 lurkers | 200 watchers
Oct 2007
9:33pm, 25 Oct 2007
1,228 posts
  •  
Snow is *much* more fun, but often involves riding over ice to get to it.

Neither crash on ice was intentional. One was over a footbridge over the A1 that wasn't gritted (even though the roads were). Walking with the bike was even worse than riding it :-( The other crash was a random patch of ice off road. My bib tights still bear the marks from that one. It was quite a slide :-) :-)
Oct 2007
9:34pm, 25 Oct 2007
1,269 posts
  •  
Jason1969
I always make holes in my bib tights with the stupidest things. The last one was climbing over a log at Cannock
Oct 2007
10:04pm, 25 Oct 2007
2,233 posts
  •  
Kieren
Lucky, yeah - essentially they are eggbeaters but with a bit of a platform around the beater so you can, just about, get away with riding in normal shoes. (for everyone else - moutain bike pedals on a road bike)

The only time I've ever come off was at low speed usually before stopping or showing off trying to trackstand. Like everone else, I usually unclip on approach to traffic lights or junctions & pedal with the mid part if the unclipped foot.
Oct 2007
12:32pm, 26 Oct 2007
First-time poster!!
  •  
It's all about how you get back on that counts ... like nothing has happened and it didn't hurt one bit :-)
Oct 2007
12:36pm, 26 Oct 2007
2,245 posts
  •  
Kieren
It only hursts the pride
Oct 2007
1:33pm, 26 Oct 2007
2,195 posts
  •  
hammerite
You say that Kieren, but I've heard of a few broken collar bones as a result of falling off at 0 mph!

I've only ever hurt my pride, although my OH was a little worried about the blood pouring out of my knee, I was more worried about my bike!

If anyone is interested the 2008 TdF route was announced yesterday, letour.fr
Oct 2007
3:31pm, 26 Oct 2007
18,364 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Hello crossboy, welcome to fetch.

I've heard of a dislocated shoulder and also a broken hand from a 0mph fall, neither of which I am happy to have a go at given my state of affairs!!!
Oct 2007
3:59pm, 26 Oct 2007
1,232 posts
  •  
LOL 'CrossBoy! And welcome to fetch!

As they say in MTBing If you're not crashing you're not learning!!!
hammerite - I have a photo at home of my best ever XC race. Both knees have bled down to my socks, I'm covered in dust and I have a huge grin on my face :-) :-) The bike was fine too despite my somersault over the bars in the bit that went through the quarry!

mad4purple - my only A&E visit was a dislocated elbow. At least I could still do spinning while it healed but I missed the rest of the racing season :-(

Today's 23 miler on the bike was rubbish. I timed how long it takes to ride my hardtail to the local pool & back. I am still shocked by the average speed, embarrasingly under 12mph despite it being a road ride :-( :-(
I have a lot of work to do on the bike.
Oct 2007
4:00pm, 26 Oct 2007
1,994 posts
  •  
idio
I was taken out by a mate on a fire road going into Chatel a couple of years ago we were both doing 30+mph. I got a knackerd shoulder and a slight concusion he broke his nose and got a concusion. Glad I was wearing a full face helmet and full body armour. But my biggest injury was when I crashed at Aston Hill on one of the DH runs doing about 5mph knackerd my thumb right up putting me off work for 3 months.
Oct 2007
4:02pm, 26 Oct 2007
1,233 posts
  •  
I acidentally took my mates down part of Aston Hill's DH course instead of the XC one. One flew off and caught his 'delicates' on a tree trunk - he was not happy :-( Great XC course though. There is actually *no* XC racing at all where I live now.

Is the thumb OK now?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP