BIKE THREAD

2 lurkers | 200 watchers
Oct 2007
3:03pm, 31 Oct 2007
136 posts
  •  
LIGHTS!

So my shiny new bike arrives tomorrow. After a visit to Halfords today, I now realise that the 3kg I save on the bike weight compared to the old one will be made up for with lights, shackle lock, mudguards, bottle carrier,etc. none of which I had before!

Which lights are best then? Have picked up a xenon set, which looks like the front is Xenon and the rear is LED. It said Xenon was better than Krypton. But then there was the option of a rechargeable set... is that worth paying double the price? Also saw a lot of LED and halogen sets too that were more compact but not necessarily lighter.

Any opinions on what is best functionally and best value for money?
Oct 2007
3:34pm, 31 Oct 2007
23,830 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Ritz depends on where you ride after dark and what you do on your bike after dark... if you ride in town with streetligts, and led flashing thing is enough and cheap enough, if however you are on the other end of the pscetrum, where I live, you will need a heavy duty light. Mine is the one on the first post on this thread and transpired to be the only one that gives enough light when there is absolutely no envrironmental light available and you have to negotiate narrow countrylanes with potholes and hills.

I would go for a re-chargeable light, but again, that depends on how often you use it after dark...
Oct 2007
3:40pm, 31 Oct 2007
1,045 posts
  •  
Prop Forward
dinotte have a sale on at the moment

or check the commuter light review over at bikeradar.com
Oct 2007
3:41pm, 31 Oct 2007
2,650 posts
  •  
good one Hann. I do all my cycling on lit streets and just use Catseye LED lights front and back, cheap, bright, flashing and lightweight and batteries last ages.
Oct 2007
5:14pm, 31 Oct 2007
137 posts
  •  
Hann, couldn't find anything in that link you posted on page 1.

This is the Xenon one I bought and may excahnge halfords.com
as it is available in rechargeable for £33

This one gets a good write up though wiggle.co.uk

I don't expect I'll do a lot of night riding but want to be legal when I do. I do have the opportunity of hitting unlit country roads too so I guess I am going for something to light the way rather than just be seen. So I'm confused, do the Cat's Eye LEDs just make you seen or do they light they way too?
Oct 2007
5:17pm, 31 Oct 2007
5,899 posts
  •  
Mrs BooBoo LaBoy
I've got a Xenon 5 lights on the front and a Catseye Smart red light on the back, if any of that makes any sense!
Oct 2007
5:19pm, 31 Oct 2007
2,205 posts
  •  
idio
I've got a dinotte good little light used it for several 24hr races and off road night riding.
Oct 2007
5:20pm, 31 Oct 2007
23,849 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Those lights are alright in town and for being seen, however they don't cut it out of town on unlit country lanes or off road. I will check the link I posted before.
Oct 2007
5:22pm, 31 Oct 2007
23,850 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Ok, it has gone from that shop, here is another link...
melbournebicycle.com.au
Oct 2007
5:26pm, 31 Oct 2007
138 posts
  •  
I'm on bikeradar now and looks like dinotte lighting is going to cost more than my bike! And this is the most expensive bike I've ever purchased, though I got 30% off.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP