BIKE THREAD

2 lurkers | 200 watchers
Feb 2007
2:34pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Kieren
This is a great site for guide prices. Fast delivery & cheap (I know you need to pend at Halfords though)
Pedals
cyclexpress.co.uk

& a selection of MTB shoes
cyclexpress.co.uk

cleats (the bit that bolts onto the bottom of the shoe to slot into the pedal will come supplied with the pedals)
Feb 2007
2:34pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Not sad at all, I did the same :-) and riding to the bf, who was going to take some pics of me riding it, I even toppled over in front of those old folk :-) on its first outing :-)
Feb 2007
2:36pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
JohnJ
Maybe a trip to halfords to talk to the bike hut 'experts' is in order. I'm guessing they can order stuff in if they don't stock
Feb 2007
2:37pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Naughty Kieren, now you have me browsing for bike stuff again :-)

I am thinking of getting an extra set of wheels with sturdier or even self repairing tyres on it for training. I can then keep the current speedy ones for racing and time trials and triathlon. I hate getting too many flat tyres.
Feb 2007
2:41pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Applecross
Good idea Han - spoke to someone t'other day who said they'd had the same self-sealing inner tubes in their bike for 3 years! A bit heavier than normal ones apparently, but fine for training
Feb 2007
2:46pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Kieren
I don't know what your DIY is like John but while changing pedals is supposed to be easy I bent a spanner trying to get my old ones off.

I had to admit defeat & take it to the local bike shop who fitted them for me in less than 5 minutes for £5
I felt a bit guilty having bought online & not from them (especially as they are family run & really helpful)
Feb 2007
3:20pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Kieren, you need a special spanner to take pedals off a bike and put them back on, should cost about a fiver... and they are counter threaded, so you turn the 'wrong' way. Also, it is of utmost importance that right goes right and left goes left...
Feb 2007
3:24pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Kieren
I know. :)

I had a sheath for the spanner to make it longer but I still couldn't do it.

In the bike shop it was easy for them to lock the crank so that didn't turn too while they applied pressure.
Feb 2007
3:25pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
JulesR
It's called a pedal spanner (shock) and Hanneke's right about turning different ways for each pedal
Feb 2007
3:25pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
icklechick
I think I just used 2 spanners - one to lock the crank and the other to loosen the pedal - bit of a bodge but it worked!

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP