BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Feb 2007
7:54pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
icklechick
I think my brother's first racer was a trek 1000 - about £450 i think. He swapped the drop bars for straight bars and absolutely loved the bike.

he then got into cycling more seriously and has some very expensive bike with the drop bars - he much prefers them but liked having the straight ones to get used to the bike type.
Feb 2007
8:16pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
hammerite
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful.

fixedgeargallery.com
this one looks very nice!!

I have to say Kieren the thought of a fixie scares me, serious lack of brakes!!
Feb 2007
9:01pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Kieren
I have a front brake & resisting the pedals slows the back wheel. You can also fit a back brake if you like but I find the front is enough
Feb 2007
9:42pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Eeeek, fixed gear, not for me, especially not in the hills here.

Hammerite, I would get a racer with flat handle bars and thicker tyres for commuting. You then still have the option of an extra set of less sturdy, faster wheels with thin tubes on it if you want to do duathlon or triathlon, just swap them over...

The flat handlebars are safer in traffic, as you have more flexibility in your upper body for looking around you and keeping track of traffic. The sturdier tyres and wheels will stop you from getting damage all the time through potholes and sharp stuff on the roads...
Feb 2007
9:43pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Hanneke
You should be able to get a decent bike for up to £500 by the way.
Feb 2007
9:43pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Kieren
But Han - there's nothing faster than a fixie going up a hill...
Feb 2007
9:44pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Hanneke
And how do you stop when going downhill????
Feb 2007
9:49pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Kieren
Fall over ;)

resisting the pedals sees me okay for most hills other than that I have the front brake. The scariest thing about going downhill fast (35+ mph) is that once your legs are spinning at 170+rpm it's very difficult to slow them down.

f you do decide to though, pulling up on the pedals is easier than pushing down
Feb 2007
9:57pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
hammerite
sounds v. scary Kieren!

Thanks Han, I won't actually have much traffic to contend with as over 10 miles of the ride are on quiet country roads and the some about 5 on the red ways in Milton Keynes. I think I'll just buy some extras, mix and match and see how I get on.

My gf has a hybrid, she wants some shoes for cycling in, just normal (no cleat or clips) but narrower shoes. Any recommendations?
Feb 2007
10:31pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Kieren
Those vans skateboarding shoes might be worth a look. I don't know if they do narrow fittings though but a lot of people with flat pedals seem to like them.

Oh & if you want to see beautiful bikes - the ones I lust after are here

vanillabicycles.com

vanillabicycles.com

Vanilla Bikes, custom built & painted - oh so sexy. No good for the likes of me though as for one I can't afford one & even if I could I don't deserve an expensive bike as I don't look after them well enough

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP