BIKE THREAD

5 lurkers | 200 watchers
Feb 2007
2:11pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
icklechick
JohnJ - I have look cleats for the road bike and shimano's for the MTB - the mtb one's are much easier to get into and out of - I've only toppled over once on the mtb one's compared to the road one's.

They're designed for different things tho - (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

road cleats / shoes are very rigid, you have a large surface area so you can get lots of power delivered through and the shoes are not the sort you can really wander round in very comfortably (no flexibility).

mtb cleats / shoes are more flexible - you have a smaller cleat that you can clip in on both sides, the shoes are more trainer like so you can carry the bike etc or wade through mud. they're easier to clip in and out of (imho) and more comfy.

i've been considering getting new cleats for the road bike and wearing my mtb shoes on both.
Feb 2007
2:13pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
JohnJ
so how much for a set of MTB cleats and do you get shoes with them???
Feb 2007
2:21pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Applecross
I got the cheapie shimano ones; think the cleats/pedals were about £20, and the shoes just under £30.
Can you find the extra tenner from somewhere?
Feb 2007
2:22pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
JohnJ
problem is I have to buy em from halfords
Feb 2007
2:24pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Hanneke
no, you dont get the shoes with them... I have look pedals as well, and when I buy my new MTB, it will have SPD pedals and I will have to buy shoes to match... you cannot and should not walk on your road bike cleats, it wears them out prematurely and they are expensive.

Different uses indeed, the look pedals and cleats are designed to make your power transfer to the bike as efficient as possible... On an MTB it is also important to be able to het off and walk, carrying the bike over a stile or through water or up steep patches and the like, so the shoes are more shoe like, with a hole in the sole where the SPD pedal clips in. The road shoes (I have look, but there are different brands) have the cleats sticking out under the soles.
Feb 2007
2:26pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
JohnJ
god i need to read up on this
Feb 2007
2:28pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Applecross
just get yourself some furry dice for the car JJ - much simpler :-)
Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
icklechick
what type of cycling are you thinking of doing johnj?
on road or off road?
Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
Kieren
John, clippless pedals are probably the single best purchase I have made. The difference they make is amazing.

My bike is a road bike but MTB style clipless pedals are best I think for 2 resons:

1. The pedals are normally double sided so getting into them is easier (no need to flip like on road pedals)
2. The mountain bike clipless shoes are MUCH easier to walk in

Getting your foot out of tehm is just a matter of twisting your heel outwards. My first set was a set of shimano 520's but that bike got stolen so I now have cranc bros candy chromes on the new bike. I much prefer the cranc bros pedals over the shimanos. The candy chromes have a bit of a platform so you can still pedal in normal shoes if, for example, you're popping down to the pub / shop

Here's a couple of pictures - sad I know but I was very excited with the new bike & pedals last year

img.photobucket.com

&
img.photobucket.com
Feb 2007
2:31pm, 5 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
JohnJ
Thanks kieren, no not sad i took a pic of my golf clubs when i bought them, now thats sad.

however I'm not sure I can use somthing called 'candy'

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP