BIKE THREAD

1 lurker | 200 watchers
Feb 2007
9:04am, 6 Feb 2007
0 posts
  •  
hammerite
I'll check the vans out for her jkieren, although from memory they tend to be quite wide.

Lovely looking bikes those, I'm the same as you with looking after the bikes.
Jul 2007
8:57am, 10 Jul 2007
13,291 posts
  •  
mad4purple
Boinging this thread.

So, how do I increase my speed on a bike. My fastest ave per mile is 4.24 miles on a fairly flat 10miler, and my slowest is 5.5per mile on a hilly 26miler

I really want to get my biking up a level, am thinking of doing the following as part of a team of 4. bhf.org.uk someone at work did it last year and thought it was more like 9km not 9miles a lap. Anyone done it?
Jul 2007
9:16am, 10 Jul 2007
294 posts
  •  
Nightjar
Other than the obvious - lots of practice - you perhaps have to look at the kit. What sort of bike are you riding? Slicker tyres and toe clips (or cleats) might be 2 easy wins. The former will reduce rolling resistance and the latter will let you deliver extra power.
Jul 2007
9:21am, 10 Jul 2007
13,294 posts
  •  
mad4purple
I have a mountain bike with slick tyres on, I found that because I am nervous and sh1te at changing gears on the road bike I am no faster on the road bike. I also have those toe strap things on the pedals(not cleats, the one you kind of put your foot in(although I daresay I don't have to explain what they are, just don't know what the name is))
Jul 2007
9:52am, 10 Jul 2007
1,085 posts
  •  
Rach E
Kayano Girl, It actually sounds like it's confidence on the bike that's holding your speed back. Training for the chainbreaker will definitely help you become more confident as it sounds like a reasonably technical mountain bike race, although it won't necessarily make you any faster.

As you're nervous about changing gear on the bike, can I suggest you invest in a turbo trainer so you can practice? A turbo trainer is a device you slot your bike into and ride it as normal (but it becomes like an exercise bike). You can then practise changing gear without the fear of falling over.

I personally hate those toe strap things and prefer clipless pedals as I find it easier to get my foot out of them, but for now, stick with what your comfortable with.

Once you have more confidence you can work on speed, but it sounds like it is the confidence issue holding you back at the moment.

(For what it's worth, I am very fast on my road bike and normally the fastest woman in a triathlon, but I am SO slow on a mountain bike as I really lack confidence on technical courses)
Jul 2007
3:21pm, 10 Jul 2007
13,312 posts
  •  
mad4purple
We do have a turbo trainer, at one point it was the only form of exercise I was able to do when my arm was in a sling, so I did get used to the road bike when I was on that, but it's totally different on the road, the gear changers are on the lower cross bar, and so therefore require me to take my hand off the handlebars to change gear, which I really don't like. I think it relates to my shoulder accident, but I'm not sure. Don't have a problem with confidence changing gears when I am on the mountain bike on slick tyres, although I do go for the brakes as soon as I start going down a steep hill, but I am trying to get better.

I have never tried the clips, so maybe it's something I need to look at.
Jul 2007
3:24pm, 10 Jul 2007
17,757 posts
  •  
Hanneke
It sounds like you want to come on a cycle ride with me M4P, we will soon have you comfy and confident on that bike :-)
Jul 2007
3:26pm, 10 Jul 2007
13,314 posts
  •  
mad4purple
OK then Hann you are on, meet halfway somewhere and go for a ride?
Jul 2007
3:27pm, 10 Jul 2007
17,761 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Sounds like a plan! :-) I need to get some miles in, supposed toi be doing the bikeleg of an ironman tri on 1 September... and a 100 mile ride on 4 august... will do the 60 miles in stead I think... not at all prepared, been running too much :-)
Jul 2007
3:28pm, 10 Jul 2007
17,762 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Will have a look at my days off and get you some possible dates.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP