Baking thread

98 watchers
Mar 2013
12:55pm, 9 Mar 2013
6,331 posts
  •  
Star x
yep = I freeze bananas that have gone too ripe all the time. the skins will go black so dont worry. and when you defrost them, they will have turned to mush so it makes it all the easier for mixing into your batter
Mar 2013
3:16pm, 9 Mar 2013
9,556 posts
  •  
Girlie
Domestic goddestry going on here, got Fruit loaf and hot cross buns proving at the moment.

Using Paul Hollywood's baking book for them both.

the hot cross buns were very sticky to knead, fortunately WW rescued me and managed to get the dough to stop sticking to the work surface!
Mar 2013
3:57pm, 9 Mar 2013
3,619 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Excellent croissantage there! Bananas - just don't try to peel them when they are still frozen, your fingers will freeze.

Girlie - When I do HCBs I use a PH recipe (mostly) but spread out the kneading using the Dan Lepard approach, so it isn't too sticky except for maybe the first knead. So - mix up liquids and dry goods to a rough ball in the bowl, leave for 10 mins, oil the worktop and your hand and just fold 10 to 12 times, get it back in the bowl, leave another 10 mins, knead, leave again, knead again. It takes a bit longer but I promise the stickiness will be gone before the last knead because the flour has aborbed the liquid. It is also much less knackering. Then leave for an hour or whatever and continue. Stickiness also depends on the flour I find. Supermarket flour is superabsorbent, but my favourite Shipton Mill is not and stickiness can prevail. Resist adding extra flour at any rate, maybe decrease the liquid next time.

I am pizzaaaaaing this afternoon, having HCB'd this morning (made at night while watching Shaun of the Dead and bunged in the oven this morning).
Mar 2013
4:35pm, 9 Mar 2013
9,557 posts
  •  
Girlie
Cheers for the tip Icemaiden. Will definitely try that next time. I think we added slightly too much water.

It's looking more promising at the moment, waiting for them to prove a bit more then add the fruit and leave for another hour or so
Mar 2013
4:39pm, 9 Mar 2013
3,620 posts
  •  
icemaiden
We need pictures - maybe we should have a 'bun-off'?
Mar 2013
4:46pm, 9 Mar 2013
9,558 posts
  •  
Girlie
I'll take pictures when they are baked:-)

Shouldn't we call it a 'bun fight'?
K9
Mar 2013
5:46pm, 9 Mar 2013
170 posts
  •  
K9
Blimey..you guys sound good!!
I'm such a novice but have ambition....
Mar 2013
5:58pm, 9 Mar 2013
9,559 posts
  •  
Girlie
I'm a very novice baker! I can make a simple cake, but this is my first real attempt at breadmaking!

WW has made bread before and is helping me out!
Mar 2013
6:44pm, 9 Mar 2013
14,545 posts
  •  
halfpint
HCBs sound lush. I have had a poor success rate with bready products up til now :(

I had some apples that were beyond eating and hope to make apple and rasp breakfast muffins tomorrow to use them up. Recipe looks simple and I can give some to mum for mothers day....sorted!!
Mar 2013
7:42pm, 9 Mar 2013
3,621 posts
  •  
icemaiden
HCBs - I use the PH basic approach bbcgoodfood.com but with a total of 300g of dried fruit and leave out the apple and orange, but put in 4 tsps of mixed spice, and mainly use the Dan Lepard kneading as described above so long as there's time, although you can just go for it for 5 mins but as also mentioned it is sticky.

Suggest you start here halfpint and you'll be expert by Good Friday.

I blogged doing it last year wp.me so feel free to take a look and have a go.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555