Baking thread

1 lurker | 98 watchers
Feb 2013
1:01pm, 10 Feb 2013
6,726 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I had left over pastry (from making smoked haddock flan) and there was some mincemeat left in the fridge from Christmas, so I made myself some mince pies. In February!

I'm going to eat one in a min :-)
Feb 2013
9:37pm, 18 Feb 2013
2,126 posts
  •  
Clueless
I have just made a chocolate and beetroot cake. I am waiting for it to cool down enough to try a bit. It wsa taking ages to finish in the middle and then it went over, I am worried it might be a bit dry just now. But I shall report back in a bit :)

I can think of worse ways of getting my 5 a day ;)
Feb 2013
9:39pm, 18 Feb 2013
3,061 posts
  •  
sallykate
Oh thanks McG you've reminded me I have some pastry which I probably need to freeze.

Or maybe OH and daughter can make jam tarts with it tomorrow...
Feb 2013
9:47pm, 18 Feb 2013
287 posts
  •  
old mum
I've got a cracking recipe for beetroot & seed cake. Dead easy and absolutely delicious.
Feb 2013
9:43am, 19 Feb 2013
14,424 posts
  •  
halfpint
I've had beetroot and choc before and it was delish. Presumably the beetroot helps keep it moist? :)

I made pear scones at the weekend. Pears needed eaten and I had had pear and almond scones somewhere. I couldn't find a recipe so just added chopped pear to a normal recipe - couldn't work out best way to add almonds.....thoughts??
Feb 2013
10:14am, 19 Feb 2013
288 posts
  •  
old mum
Lessen the flour in place of the almonds. You could also try pear and Stilton scones, if you like Stilton of course!
Feb 2013
10:50am, 19 Feb 2013
23,915 posts
  •  
JenL
If your almonds are flaked, you can press them into the tops of the scones; if chopped, just add to the mixture; if ground, do as old mum suggests :-) Perhaps a little sprinkle of nutmeg, too?
They sound very nice.
K9
Feb 2013
11:33am, 19 Feb 2013
145 posts
  •  
K9
mmm.
Pear and stilton sounds yummy!
Not sure about the beetroot cake.
I tried making chocltae and beetroot brownies recently (Hugh F-W) and they were extremely wet to the point of being inedible - probably just needed a lot longer in the oven but I'm a bit of a novice and wasn't sure at the time..
I had a big chocolate beetroot brownie on Saturday whilst out cycling - it was OK, but wouldn't rush back for another.
I have a seriously sweet tooth and the beetroot just seemed to dilute the sweetness and chocolatey-ness.

What's the beetroot and seed recipe?
Am willing to keep experimenting until I find deliciousness, and I do have a bunch of beetroot in the fridge (though was intending a beetroot/ walnut/ goats cheese salad).

I made a seriously yummy dulce de leche cake yesterday, and some banoffee blondies last week that have only got better with age....
Both from Rachel Allen's 'Cake' book
:o)
Feb 2013
11:38am, 19 Feb 2013
23,919 posts
  •  
JenL
Ugh...banoffee :-(
~~shudder~~

Sorry K9 :-)
K9
Feb 2013
11:54am, 19 Feb 2013
146 posts
  •  
K9
They were yummy and very sweet - white chocolate , almond praline and banana...
:o)

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555