Who Squares Wins!

3 lurkers | 174 watchers
Jun 2020
8:50am, 11 Jun 2020
9,493 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
Surely you can take a light 25 mile stroll, DTs?
DTs
Jun 2020
10:28am, 11 Jun 2020
210 posts
  •  
DTs
Don't tempt me!

TBH if it was just for me then I may well have seen if I could "run it off" but my wife has had significant struggles with an eating disorder and exercise addiction so I have to try and ensure I model good behaviours around exercise so I am attempting to practice what I preach (unlike certain advisors to the British PM) and it is nearly killing me!

Stupid groin
Stupid role model
Stupid rest days

*sulks*
Jun 2020
11:40am, 11 Jun 2020
9,494 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
Thanks for sharing that, DTs. Yes, definitely many things more important than WSW.
Jun 2020
11:45am, 11 Jun 2020
8,206 posts
  •  
GordonG
Dave, at least your carpet makes it easier to reach the cake!
Jun 2020
1:03pm, 11 Jun 2020
772 posts
  •  
tiamo69
NDWDave to ftrobbie:
"If you can gridmaster and cycle regularly you will be right up there. Multiplayer could be trickier as progress relies on heavy scoring in an individual square. Tiamo is a pure cyclist I think and is well up there in the rankings"

Dave is 90% correct: I am mainly a cyclist these days (put my 'running days' behind me, about 7 years ago) & have designed several training routes, just for WSW; which literally, go 'all around the houses'...
I also try to get out and do 2-4 mile walks (using Fetch's App) a couple of days per week.

If you can regularly cover 100 squares, you'll do well in 1v1 matches...
However, when you're matched against a decent runner, who takes WSW seriously; you will definitely have your work cut out for you...

Got my Gridmaster last week (it was a real challenge to get the last 7 squares) & had a tough 1v1 match up against 'Macca'.

So glad I planned to take a 'break' this week; it's been refreshing to take my foot off the gas and not have to worry about whats happening on the grid.
Jun 2020
2:50pm, 11 Jun 2020
17 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
tiamo69, thanks. Your analysis was where I got too. I can smatter pretty well but it does lack intensity due to not being able to run. Running volume was at 25-40 miles a week, for HM training, so going from that to 120 cycling miles a week, certainly changes the intensity for WSW. Although I can do c200 squares plus as a one off, cycling around backstreets with parked cars and inattentive drivers scares the bejesus out of me. Riding as though everycar driver is out to maim you and riding appropriately takes the fun out of it. I know that most are ok but it only takes one to ruin the next 6 months.
Jun 2020
2:52pm, 11 Jun 2020
18 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
DTs stay with it, being the role model is more important in the longer term for both of your well being(s)
DTs
Jun 2020
2:54pm, 11 Jun 2020
211 posts
  •  
DTs
Thanks - doing my best!
Jun 2020
4:14pm, 11 Jun 2020
515 posts
  •  
ishep 🇪🇺
re ducks in endless pools: the current below the surface may well be faster than on the surface! (probably is, I'd imagine)
Jun 2020
6:28pm, 11 Jun 2020
23 posts
  •  
bja61
ishep - I think the current is at its strongest at the depth of the propellor shaft, about 30 cm below the surface. The force of the current also drops the further you get from the prop as the current spreads out, so I might need to time it over a shorter distance in the "swim zone". The pool is only 14 feet long (US made so imperial measurements) so timing will be critical - a second either way could add up to a fair bit of tolerance over a 30 minute swim. I shall play with some floats later!!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
fetcheveryone.com/wsw.php

Game guide here:
fetcheveryone.com/wsw-guide.php