What really grinds your gears?

1 lurker | 179 watchers
5 Jun
9:36am, 5 Jun 2024
10,379 posts
  •  
GordonG
The notion of credit scores (e.g. Experian, etc). The info they hold is incomplete, out of context (e.g. sometimes your score can go down after a financial transaction despite you being financially better off because of it) and the 'score' you're given is in itself meaningless, which is why each company give you a different score. And don't get me started on how some of them tell you that taking out a credit card can worsen your credit score yet their website is full of adverts encouraging me to do just that.
5 Jun
10:30am, 5 Jun 2024
7,503 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I get my credit score through my bank of Scotland app. Every month it basically goes up and down a few points. Sometimes it’s up because I’m not using my credit, sometimes it’s down because…. I’m not using my credit
5 Jun
10:39am, 5 Jun 2024
69,260 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
[I've recently accessed a credit score through a financial institution. It tells me that my credit score took a whacking because I took out two credit cards within a short period of time (the first only gave me a tiny credit limit due to my shortage of credit history and was no use for the sort of purchases I might want credit card protection for) and have used them. I'll be mildly interested to see if it goes up when the short period of time has passed.]
5 Jun
10:54am, 5 Jun 2024
3,833 posts
  •  
cackleberry
[And yet when I was a young adult, who had never had a loan or credit card, my credit rating was zero. This was of course because they had no history on me, despite having a monthly income, an ISA and never being overdrawn.]
5 Jun
11:14am, 5 Jun 2024
7,504 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I remember at 20 or something not being able to get a mobile phone contract because I’d never had any kind of debt. That was the only thing that prompted me to get my first credit card I seem to recall
5 Jun
11:32am, 5 Jun 2024
8,941 posts
  •  
westmoors
[The only time I've had my credit score checked was when opening a particular Nationwide account. Sat nervously for a few minutes as all debts had been paid off several years previous and hadn't had a credit card for decades.]
5 Jun
11:37am, 5 Jun 2024
86,354 posts
  •  
Diogenes
The electoral system
5 Jun
12:27pm, 5 Jun 2024
3,860 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I tried to get a mobile contract a few years ago, I was 33/34. I was denied as I had no credit even though I have a joint mortgage, bank account and joint credit card. I didn't have a credit card of my own as I didn't need one.
6 Jun
7:45pm, 6 Jun 2024
2,566 posts
  •  
Jen HB
If you were actually paying attention instead of being engrossed in your phone you would have seen the bus before it was just about to pass the stop, and then you feel that you can amble to the bus when it stops a short distance past the stop [I've not been on a bus for ages and this happened twice on the same journey!]
7 Jun
10:56am, 7 Jun 2024
10,398 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Talking of buses, I don't know whether it's an age or culture thing, or just plain rudeness. You used to arrive at a bus stop and stand directly behind the person in front to form a queue. It now seems common practice to form queues from both sides of the bus stop.

Yesterday, two queues were formed yet about five people (all separately) arrived and stood literally within touching distance of the bus stop, totally ignoring the fact that there were other people around.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
A forum to sound off about what really grinds your gears.