parkrun thread

5 lurkers | 498 watchers
23 Aug
4:00pm, 23 Aug 2024
25,418 posts
  •  
larkim
I wondered if it was some old naming system that had been dropped. e.g. Cardiff Blackweir Time Trial I think was the original name?
23 Aug
6:37pm, 23 Aug 2024
25,420 posts
  •  
larkim
Anyone know anything about Lyme Park parkrun? I can see that parking is free and know what the course is like, but confused that the NT site says that access to the park and gardens are chargeable. Are there chunks of the estate that are free to go walking in without paying for access to the "nice bits"?
rhb
23 Aug
10:18pm, 23 Aug 2024
2,339 posts
  •  
rhb
larkim wrote:Anyone know anything about Lyme Park parkrun? I can see that parking is free and know what the course is like, but confused that the NT site says that access to the park and gardens are chargeable. Are there chunks of the estate that are free to go walking in without paying for access to the "nice bits"?

Dag to day most of the estate is free to visit if you arrive on foot/bike. Drive & it costs for parking for visitors. Iirc if you roll up early Saturdays for PR you don't pay to park though.*

The only time I went there for PR I parked at Nelsons Pit (not free, take coins) above Poynton by the Middlewood Way, ran up the lane that the Bowstones/ Boars Head fell races route follows, then ran back after PR, a nice warmup & cool down.

,* citation needed.
24 Aug
6:07am, 24 Aug 2024
290 posts
  •  
Neal
The parking is free in the main car park if you get there early enough for parkrun - I seem to remember there being an unmanned kiosk for payment on the way in.
24 Aug
6:30am, 24 Aug 2024
25,423 posts
  •  
larkim
Ta both!
24 Aug
7:09am, 24 Aug 2024
17,830 posts
  •  
jennywren
It’s very very hilly
jda
24 Aug
12:01pm, 24 Aug 2024
17,682 posts
  •  
jda
Holyrood is a hilly one too :-). Not that much more than Skipton but doing it in one chunk rather than several small bumps really made it feel like a climb.

My first time there and a lovely day with great views. Imagine it can sometimes be a bit grim in a winter storm being so high and exposed.
24 Aug
12:10pm, 24 Aug 2024
3,905 posts
  •  
Big_G
I’m to do Holyrood start of October as I’m there for a long weekend.
24 Aug
4:56pm, 24 Aug 2024
6,216 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Holyrood has a hilly first mile. After that’s it great though. You go from 5 minute kilometres to 4 post hill.
24 Aug
4:58pm, 24 Aug 2024
6,217 posts
  •  
Ally-C

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.