parkrun thread

21 lurkers | 498 watchers
25 Aug
9:27pm, 25 Aug 2024
168 posts
  •  
stevieg
Windsor Wool wrote:Can you say some more 57.5? There’s something controversial about Sri Chinmoy events? Occasional trip to Battersea for parkrun will be great though SG, won’t it? Lovely and easy to get there on a quiet Sat am. Unfortunately a bit early to allow for a trip to the pub after but still good!!

Assume he means about the person the events are named after from a quick google, rather than the events themselves.

But yes, the idea of having the event there every week is quite appealing. Although paying and having a race number on always seems to create a better performance than in a parkrun!
25 Aug
9:29pm, 25 Aug 2024
169 posts
  •  
stevieg
@Windsor Wool It's also quite hard to imagine what up to say 1,000 on the course would feel like too. We've all done some of the usual races there with say 250-300, but three times that number could make lap 2 carnage!
25 Aug
9:32pm, 25 Aug 2024
4,781 posts
  •  
Curly45
They were great races what a shame. It's probably because the reach of parkrun will be bigger.

I'm not sure I'd want to parkrun there with 1,000 people. Clapham was carnage.
25 Aug
9:36pm, 25 Aug 2024
170 posts
  •  
stevieg
Curly45 wrote:They were great races what a shame. It's probably because the reach of parkrun will be bigger. I'm not sure I'd want to parkrun there with 1,000 people. Clapham was carnage.
Curly45 wrote:They were great races what a shame. It's probably because the reach of parkrun will be bigger. I'm not sure I'd want to parkrun there with 1,000 people. Clapham was carnage.

The 8.30 10ks were always a bit too early for me to consider, but seems a shame they've had to stop. Just hope nothing stops them doing their 5ks. Though they could do with chip timing these days.

It's hard to visualise 1,000 runners for such a short distance, let alone on a lapped course.

Not sure what Bushy's course is like, but up to 3,000 there could be utter mania midpack.
25 Aug
9:40pm, 25 Aug 2024
6,431 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
@stevieg @57.5 Degrees of Pain Of course, yes, sorry! Bit thick of me there.

Let’s hope they get those barriers lifted else yeah, carnage.

I’d bet on next weekend btw. At Upton on Sat there was a lot talk about folks going to Bushy for the 1000th.
25 Aug
9:43pm, 25 Aug 2024
6,432 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
The Bushy course is a single lapper with an enormously wide start line. It’s not as bad as you might think. No idea how the dark magic around the multi finish funnels works but it does!

1800 at the 999th yesterday.
25 Aug
9:49pm, 25 Aug 2024
20,579 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
stevieg wrote:Assume he means about the person the events are named after from a quick google, rather than the events themselves. But yes, the idea of having the event there every week is quite appealing. Although paying and having a race number on always seems to create a better performance than in a parkrun!
Yes, there was quite a lot of controversy about the man and cultlike aspects of the organisation. Never heard any issues about the events.
25 Aug
9:50pm, 25 Aug 2024
2,816 posts
  •  
Jen HB
I did Bushy back in 2020 and the double funnel works very well... my understanding is runners are sent into one until it is full and then the first runner is given a piece of paper (potentially with a letter on) on to hold up and then finishers are sent into that funnel until its full. So finish tokens hand out to the first funnel until they get to a piece of paper then switch to the other funnel.
25 Aug
9:56pm, 25 Aug 2024
171 posts
  •  
stevieg
Windsor Wool wrote:@stevieg @57.5 Degrees of Pain Of course, yes, sorry! Bit thick of me there. Let’s hope they get those barriers lifted else yeah, carnage. I’d bet on next weekend btw. At Upton on Sat there was a lot talk about folks going to Bushy for the 1000th.

Yep imagine everyone trying to squeeze down to 2 or 3 abreast at those bottlenecks!

They would have to use a Start on a wider section of the course too, not that 20 wide Sri chimnoy start. Maybe nearer the Bandstand.

Intriguing and most probably worth giving a wide berth until it's established.
25 Aug
9:57pm, 25 Aug 2024
172 posts
  •  
stevieg
It only seems like yesterday parkrun was off and we were only allowed to do those dreadful distanced race things. Which obviously at the time felt brilliant to even have those.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hendo
A discussion of all things parkrun.

Here's a wiki giving brief reviews of parkruns up and down the land:

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=545

parkruns with restart permission: google.com

Note: Hendo is a boy.