The virtual mile thread

51 watchers
Mar 2023
11:34am, 30 Mar 2023
8,611 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
For encouragement and general chat about the virtual mile challenges.

It's not easy pacing a mile race whether it's virtual or real, be it on track, road, grass or trail. Go out too hard initially and struggle towards the end, go out too soft and regret your finish time.

Use this thread to record your jubilation or allow us to commiserate with you.
Mar 2023
11:40am, 30 Mar 2023
46,090 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Where is the virtual mile challenge pls? I saw geordiegirl mention it too but didn't know what it is! :-) G
Mar 2023
11:47am, 30 Mar 2023
7,198 posts
  •  
westmoors
Happy, these are monthly virtual races...look under the Race tab!

This is the link for April
fetcheveryone.com/races/april-virtual-mile-7812045
Mar 2023
11:49am, 30 Mar 2023
8,612 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
You beat me to it westmoors I've added March to the sidebar HappyG(rrr) and will add the others so folks don't have to go and search for them in the race finder.
Mar 2023
12:13pm, 30 Mar 2023
34,383 posts
  •  
ElDuderino
Don't think i've ever recorded a mile time on here. Will have a go on the April one. Thanks for raising awareness of this with a thread FF.
Mar 2023
12:17pm, 30 Mar 2023
24,736 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I'm not far off a PB, so hoping to get that in April or May - my WAVA is higher for my 10k so it should be doable, despite the recent changes to the standards.
Mar 2023
12:21pm, 30 Mar 2023
5,687 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Sorry for noob questions but not done one of these before.

Are you supposed to accurately measure out a mile, or can you make it a bit longer and just use the benchmarks time to get the best mile from within that activity ?

Rely on people's sense of fairness to ensure no big downhills, or is a free for all as far as course profile goes ?
Mar 2023
12:25pm, 30 Mar 2023
24,738 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I use benchmarks usually and mostly do the same route each month, unless I get a faster mile in a race or parkrun.
Mar 2023
12:28pm, 30 Mar 2023
8,613 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
K5 Gus your mile your rules as if you want to do a downhill mile you're only cheating yourself.
I've been doing a warm up and then continuing the run for my mile before cooling down. Perhaps that's cheating by having a running start. I do take that mile time from the benchmark time in the training.

It's just to try and help gauge how to pace a mile for me.
Use it how you wish, good luck if you want to join in.
Mar 2023
12:36pm, 30 Mar 2023
46,091 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks Ff. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Fenland Flier
For encouragement and general chat about the virtual mile challenges.

It's not easy pacing a mile race whether it's virtual or real, be it on track, road, grass or trail. Go out too hard initially and struggle towards the end, go out too soft and regret your finish time.

Use this thread to record your jubilation or allow us to commiserate with you.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.