Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
17 Jun
2:34pm, 17 Jun 2024
30,586 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
It's ok, I welcome constructive feedback :-) The influx of new forum users has given me some pointers for some things I can make clearer in terms of how you interact with threads. It might be a surprise to some posters, but I do act on feedback (sometimes the moment I hear it), and if its valid criticism, it can lead to improvements that make the site better for everyone. So it's all good :-) As an example, DT19 had trouble updating his avatar - I've improved that process this morning.

For the uninitiated, there are two main routes to improve the site, both accessible via the 'Help' link that appears at the top and bottom of each page.

If it's something that's broken or not working right, you can tell me here: fetcheveryone.com/feedback-contact.php

Whereas if it's a suggestion for an improvement to the site, you can post a Feature Request here: fetcheveryone.com/featurevoting - there's a voting system so that I get to see which improvements will be popular; and I've a pretty good strike rate. So far there have been 1841 requests, and I've resolved 1287 of them (nearly 70%).
17 Jun
2:47pm, 17 Jun 2024
2,805 posts
  •  
Shades
I know you do work hard Fetch responding to everything that goes on.

At times it must be like herding cats 😉
17 Jun
2:52pm, 17 Jun 2024
30,587 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Better to make it easier to give the cats what they need than to make them dance to my tune :-)
17 Jun
6:00pm, 17 Jun 2024
2,809 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - I've just seen that Barnstaple will permit their marathon this year with EA to be eligible for London GFA.

Just in case you're fit enough to have a go by then, I'm sure there's a few Trotters that might be interested too. 29th September.
17 Jun
6:23pm, 17 Jun 2024
3,564 posts
  •  
Big_G
Thanks Fetch.

Shades, that’s good news about Barnstaple. I think I saw something about the RED events being permitted as well, or was it yourself that mentioned that?

Had a pleasant drive down to a nice site in Luxembourg and there are lots of trails around for a run tomorrow, straight from the site. Hadn’t realised but it’s free public transport here so we’re going to go into the city tomorrow on the bus from the site, have a look around and then see a friend tomorrow late afternoon.
17 Jun
7:13pm, 17 Jun 2024
2,810 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - RED announced that their course had been officially measured and now had a course measurement certificate, which they didn't have before. They also said it would be eligible for GFA but didn't say if the event was being permitted by EA.

I did ask if that meant the event would no longer be cupless, proper drink stations as you would expect in a road race. They said it would still be cupless but if anyone forgot their cup they would provide one. Which wasn't the answer I wanted. I can't see a runner pushing for a GFA time faffing around filling their own cup. The time lost would be significant, IMHO they still have a lot to learn especially if they're going to organise road races.

Good to hear you've got your running sorted for the next few days.
17 Jun
7:21pm, 17 Jun 2024
2,811 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - just looked at RED website. Next event showing ARC permits, but does mention course is measured and classified as road.

Perhaps someone should explain that although the course measurement certificate is the same London for political reasons won't recognise a GFA time without an EA permit.

I can't honestly see many runners using their events to try for a GFA. Could you run a GFA there?
17 Jun
7:27pm, 17 Jun 2024
3,565 posts
  •  
Big_G
No chance I could run a GFA there, for a few reasons! I wonder if their main reason for doing what they’ve done is so that they can doubt their events as road for 100MC purposes then?
17 Jun
7:32pm, 17 Jun 2024
2,812 posts
  •  
Shades
Yes, I think they wanted to be able to classify their races as road.

But when they announced the course had been measured on FB they did say it would be eligible for GFA.

Of course, it might be events later on that they permit with EA.
18 Jun
7:42am, 18 Jun 2024
2,813 posts
  •  
Shades
6 miles this morning, added on a little more through that confusing housing estate. No seagull stalking me this time.

Another lovely morning, we do need rain though as they were watering the race course.

Gym later

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.