Shades Marathon Training

4 lurkers | 30 watchers
15 Jun
9:35am, 15 Jun 2024
2,781 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - well if you don't get your Plan A, a GFA time at HCA, you'll at least get a qualifying time for Comrades. Which is a pretty good consolation prize.
15 Jun
12:33pm, 15 Jun 2024
121 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-I'll have to see how the next month or 2 goes to decide whether I'm going to attempt GFA or not,wait and see how much the shoulder has put me back.
15 Jun
12:38pm, 15 Jun 2024
3,548 posts
  •  
Big_G
I’ve come to realise that the old RW Shades thread was kind of a summary of what I posted on different threads over here - ie, over here there are parkrun, 5K, 3:15, 10K multi marathon, foreign marathon, travel etc threads, and I kind of summarised all that over on RW. If I’m not careful I’ll be putting things on this thread plus similar things in other places, but maybe that’s not an issue!

Anyway, Goffert parkrun in Nijmegen today was very nice. A small event, 2 laps and coffee afterwards. Just arrived in Zwolle to see OH parents.
15 Jun
6:46pm, 15 Jun 2024
2 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Ian what are the cut offs to get further up the pens for Comrades? Will be an epic experience.

Shades have booked accommodation for DD, won’t mentioned it to OH as over our anniversary weekend again. Her job won’t allow for time off outside term time otherwise I’d suggest a trip away.

Big G hope the weather improves.

5 miles and a quick visit to the gym,

Seen RW have pressed the button!
15 Jun
8:17pm, 15 Jun 2024
2,785 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - 3rd time lucky for DD then. 🙃 Entries open I think 1st November.

A bit drastic I know, but perhaps you should get married so you have a wedding anniversary to celebrate in future years. You can then drop the anniversary of when you met celebrations. 🤣
15 Jun
8:37pm, 15 Jun 2024
5 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Shades we started to plan a wedding and fell on Berlin marathon weekend! Prior to running I used to play cricket in the summer, it was a crime to get married in the summer, not only would you miss the game but some of the team would be as well, I also used to watch Chelsea and it was frowned upon getting married in the football season. Thankfully mid week weddings are becoming more popular.
15 Jun
9:12pm, 15 Jun 2024
122 posts
  •  
Ian5
Rob-Pen A is sub 3,so that's not happening.Pen B is my aim and that sub 3:20.
Then it's 3:40 after that for C.
Just trying to decide which way round to do stuff then can plan when to go and leave.
16 Jun
5:54am, 16 Jun 2024
2,786 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - well I'm glad you weren't offended by my suggestion about getting married 😉

Ian - my preference would be race first, especially as it's an important race, then relax/sightseeing afterwards.

My calf is niggly again today, it was fine yesterday, I'll see how it is later after I've taped it up.
16 Jun
7:29am, 16 Jun 2024
123 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-That was my original thought,then I was thinking how rough my legs will feel for a few days after so would I be in much of a state to go safari etc.
I want to be in Durban by Thursday to get the expo out the way,then chill for a couple of days before the race.
16 Jun
7:38am, 16 Jun 2024
2,788 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - you're legs won't be as bad as when you've done DD as the hills are not the same. Plus you will have done more ultra training before Comrades which will lead to quicker recovery.

Just emailed RW to cancel my subscription. Of course, being me, I couldn't leave it at a simple 'please cancel' email but went straight into rant mode 🤣

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.