Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
16 Jun
8:48am, 16 Jun 2024
3,552 posts
  •  
Big_G
Whilst in ‘check forums’ mode this morning, I automatically clicked on the link on my home screen on my phone to the RW Shades page, but of course it’s not there. Just deleted that and replaced it with the Fetch equivalent.

Tigg’s clasp snapped on his lead yesterday, which was less than helpful. So we went into Zwolle (a really nice town) to get a replacement, and had coffee and cake. Difference is we went on OH’s parents e-bikes. Having never been on one before, they’re great fun, especially in turbo mode :) Pretty impressed to be honest but, imho, it’s not really ‘exercise’ as I literally didn’t break into a sweat at all. A few pedal strokes and you’re off, and then just light pedalling maintains the speed. Fantastic though and really good for short trips into town, not using the car, which is what OH parents use them for. They’re about 1.5 miles into town, and we just did about 5 in total yesterday. Cyclists everywhere as always, but it was funny being on the ‘other side’ over here for once. The whole infrastructure of separate cycle lanes on the road, priority for cyclists on some roundabouts etc is very good for cyclists. It’s odd as they’re virtually all what I would call ‘Dutch style’ bikes, which you just rarely see in England. Totally different culture here with people commuting or running errands whereas I feel most cyclists I know in England go out ‘for a ride’ or for exercise, whereas here they’re mainly used as a mode of transport for shopping, commuting etc.
16 Jun
8:50am, 16 Jun 2024
3,553 posts
  •  
Big_G
Forgot to say I did see a Jumbo rider a couple of days ago near Nijmegen. I recognised him but couldn’t remember his name. He was cycling very fast in the full team kit, on a team bike etc.
16 Jun
8:59am, 16 Jun 2024
124 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Geneva was very much cyclists ready,they also had free bicycles you could use dotted around the city.
Shades-I am going to do a lot of digging in to the hills at Comrades and see distance,elevation etc.I have googled the biggest hills here to see how they compare,and I also have the treadmill.
16 Jun
9:16am, 16 Jun 2024
3,554 posts
  •  
Big_G
Ian, I crossed Trafalgar Square last weekend on a Boris Bike and felt like I was taking my life in my hands, although in fairness there are also a lot of cycle lanes and paths through parks, along canals etc in London, and it is a nice way to get around there (I’ve used Boris Bikes a couple of times whilst in London). But the equivalent in NL would have had a separate lane for cyclists, away from the traffic. Also in London, which felt different compared to the last time I was there, there were a lot of e-bikes to rent at the side of the road, by a different company to the Santander Boris bikes, and you just rent them via an app on your phone. I think as long as you do each journey under 30mins, it’s really a cheap way to get around if you get a day pass.
16 Jun
9:55am, 16 Jun 2024
2,790 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - I've just deleted the RW link on my phone home screen too.

Ian - good, plenty of suitable training planned then. I would advise that you race some hillier marathons too and some shorter ultras if you can. Connemara ultra would be excellent training, 39.3 miles. Overall not massive elevation but tough as the two significant climbs are at 26 miles and 35 miles. The last hill is called the Hell of the West, which will give you a clue. 🤣
16 Jun
10:03am, 16 Jun 2024
2,791 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - Connemara ultra course has changed a bit since I last did it, another climb in the early stages. Elevation details here

mapmyrun.com

2024 date not yet announced, usually April.
16 Jun
1:10pm, 16 Jun 2024
3,557 posts
  •  
Big_G
Here is the trusty steed, which I used again today. The only thing against it is it’s very heavy at around 25KG/55lbs!
16 Jun
2:47pm, 16 Jun 2024
125 posts
  •  
Ian5
If it's early April it would be possible,will have a nose around for some ultras.
Wife's birthday today so obviously we decided to go out for 14m,first half felt great and good,back home I felt like death,haven't ran long since Manchester so to be expected.
16 Jun
3:42pm, 16 Jun 2024
2,795 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - Conne date usually announced late July/early August. It's usually mid to late April but it has been late March too. I have a deferred entry for the marathon so am checking frequently. 39.3 miles is a fairly standard distance in Ireland, and they're road events but not sure if there are any others of a convenient date for you.

Hope you're feeling a bit better now.
16 Jun
7:21pm, 16 Jun 2024
126 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Haven't actually felt good this afternoon,been feeling a little sick and light headed so maybe coming down with something.
I've seen a couple of 6/7 hour races in October/November I might look at,it won't get me the elevation but it will get me decent time on feet and the things that go with it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.