Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
18 Jun
8:05am, 18 Jun 2024
3,566 posts
  •  
Big_G
5 miles here in Luxembourg, mainly through the woods. The route I had planned crossed a main road, which was easy to cross, but I didn’t fancy it, so instead made up the mileage running on different trails through the woods.
18 Jun
8:39am, 18 Jun 2024
2,815 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - good to see you back to regular running and enjoying it. 😀
18 Jun
8:44am, 18 Jun 2024
128 posts
  •  
Ian5
I wouldn't fancy going for GFA at a cup less event,unless you knew you would be comfortably under.
After struggling Sunday I decided to take yesterday off so will go for a run later.OH is doing a proper plan for HCA with speedwork etc so I'm going to pace her for her first tempo later so she gets the feel of it.I was considering doubling but will just run later as tomorrow is my only other day off so want to run longer again then.
18 Jun
8:49am, 18 Jun 2024
3,568 posts
  •  
Big_G
Depressingly unfit though, Shades. 11min/mile and noticeable cardiac drift today. I reckon I’d struggle to break 50mins for a 10K at the moment. Rest day tomorrow to not go crazy with the foot as it is, then plan is 6ish Thursday and parkrun Saturday.
18 Jun
8:49am, 18 Jun 2024
2,817 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - exactly, and not only a cupless event but 8 out and backs.

I've only run the event once and lost the will to live on that course.

Big G has run it quite a few times.

Good you're feeling better
18 Jun
8:52am, 18 Jun 2024
3,569 posts
  •  
Big_G
But yes, it is very nice to be able to be out, for around an hour or so.

Ian, that is part of the problem. I reckon it’d be at least 2mins of faffing at the aid station, and as I’d be tight for a GFA that’s 2mins I couldn’t afford. I also wouldn’t want to carry my own stuff to get away from the aid station, as that’s extra weight. Plus at our GFA pace we’d probably be on our own from the start, and that particular course is surprisingly challenging too.
18 Jun
11:22am, 18 Jun 2024
2,818 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - but you're back running and you know that you'll make good progress if you're able to maintain regular training.

I think if you and Ian were trying for your GFA times on that RED course I think you'd find the constant overtaking of the slower runners quite annoying too.
18 Jun
11:40am, 18 Jun 2024
9 posts
  •  
redblueeagle
Morning! I hope you're keeping well shades. I saw this thread and thought, surely this isn't the Shades from Rw but it is. I used this plan several years ago now for the London Marathon and was even coached by Ems on RW. I didn't do so well on the day due to a virus but this is still the only plan that has ever worked and got me to the start line in good enough shape. Has it developed much? I've spent several years struggling with injuries and am really looking to start running again but need a plan more pointed to someone over 50 now. I just finished the London to Brighton bike ride (4hrs) and am looking to start back gently running at the end of the week. Would love to see an updated Shades plan! Redblueeagle (aka Lee Clark)
18 Jun
12:03pm, 18 Jun 2024
2,820 posts
  •  
Shades
redblueeagle really good to hear from you and sorry to hear a virus spoilt your London marathon even though your training went well. That's tough.

You might be disappointed to hear that the Shades plan has not changed in anyway, it's still on the same spreadsheet now 20+ years old! There is a Level 2 plan which was aimed at those that thought they were ready to step up their marathon training from the basic plan.

I'm afraid you can't use the age excuse on here as the key to the plan is to do the training at the right pace for you, whether you're 18 or 80.

Good you're going to get back to your running again, start gently and stay around here and we'll soon have you planning a race or two 😉
18 Jun
12:50pm, 18 Jun 2024
30,593 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Thought I'd share this here, as I guess there are a fair proportion of RW newbies here:

fetcheveryone.com/blog/3/2024/6/485071

Basically, I'm looking for some usability feedback - and as new/infrequent users of the site thus far, you're well placed to give me some useful stuff.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.