Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
20 Jun
7:35am, 20 Jun 2024
2,839 posts
  •  
Shades
5 miles this morning. Sunny again and definitely feeling some heat in the sun even at 6 a.m.

Had a nice friendly email back confirming my RW subscription cancellation and offering to transfer the remainder of the subscription to a different magazine.
20 Jun
7:38am, 20 Jun 2024
3,573 posts
  •  
Big_G
Just over 6 miles (just over the hour) here in Freiburg. I think the kids must start school at 8am here as I was out around 7:30am and there were kids everywhere on bikes for the first mile or so but when I got back hardly any. Mainly cycle paths and flat and had a good run today.
20 Jun
7:43am, 20 Jun 2024
2,841 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - so good to see you're out running regularly.

I think everything starts an hour earlier in Germany. When I was in Frankfurt and went for my recovery run the construction sites started up their noisy works at 7 a.m. Usually 8 a.m. here for noisy stuff.
20 Jun
8:38am, 20 Jun 2024
3,574 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, thinking about it, today at around 7:45am on my run there were a couple of guys well into retarmacing a small stretch of road.
20 Jun
7:56pm, 20 Jun 2024
133 posts
  •  
Ian5
Just under 7 for me,it was really warm,looks like we have a week of it ahead now.
21 Jun
7:26am, 21 Jun 2024
2,845 posts
  •  
Shades
5+ for me today, another nice morning. It's about 12 degrees and sunny when I go out for my run, high humidity but that's not noticeable at that temperature.

Gym later this morning.
21 Jun
7:40am, 21 Jun 2024
3,582 posts
  •  
Big_G
Had a great day yesterday exploring Freiburg, including a walk up to a viewpoint up a steep climb overlooking the city. It’s the most I’ve felt I’ve been able to be on my feet for quite some time. It’s a great city and we had Black Forest gateaux here, bratwurst from the market, etc.

Up and out fairly early today as Tigg needs he’s worming treatment administered by a vet here, and also needs his paperwork signed to get him back into the country. Next time we’re in NL we’re hoping to get him a European pet passport registered with OH’s Mum (it needs to be registered with an EU address), which if we can get one will hopefully save all this hassle.

Rest day today from running and hopefully parkrun tomorrow, which should take me to 20 miles this week!

I have a rough plan forming of trying to maintain running 4 times a week for 3 or 4 weeks, maybe getting up to about 30 miles for a week after 3 or 4 weeks, whilst also Zwifting in between. Fingers crossed! Wattbike delivery confirmed for 2 days after I return which will give me time to sort out/tidy up the pain cave before the bike arrives. Actually excited about it arriving!
22 Jun
5:48am, 22 Jun 2024
2,856 posts
  •  
Shades
Good luck to Keith and Steve, both racing today.

Big G - good idea to get Tigg nationalised as a Dutch dog and do away with all that faff and expense every time you travel.

Hope you reach your 20mpw target today.

Rest day for me today, longish run planned for tomorrow
22 Jun
12:42pm, 22 Jun 2024
4,040 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Well done Shades have you had a good week?
Good luck to the racers

I am looking for a good half marathon programme any ideas or I may go back to Road racers book and put together one.
Hope I can hang out here as no half thread.
22 Jun
1:13pm, 22 Jun 2024
2,861 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I've had an OK week, thank you.

I suggest you write your own training plan, you know what works for you and what you like. Or just take a marathon plan and use the first few weeks of that, no need to do the longest runs obviously 🙄

Perhaps one or two shorter races built into the plan, if there are any suitable events.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.