Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
22 Jun
5:40pm, 22 Jun 2024
134 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-When is Cardiff half? We need to do a race that way at some point.In laws live in Swansea and keep inviting us to stay there.
Shades-Even though you're not hitting high miles you seem to be consistent now which is the start.
Rob-Glad you completed well today,I've noticed I'm very wary on downhills since my fall,hopefully that will go over time.
I seen Steve and Keith have raced today,hope it went well.
Took yesterday as a rest as my shoulder was little sore again,but ran 7 today in the warm,gives me about 35 for the week and hopefully 7 again tomorrow.
22 Jun
5:46pm, 22 Jun 2024
4,044 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ian-Places sold out in February but limited places opened for Welsh athletic members yesterday,don't suppose either of you are members? Failing that Swansea 10k 15th September. Cardiff is 6th october.
I used to live in Swansea for 57 years but now about 15 miles away.Small world.
22 Jun
6:48pm, 22 Jun 2024
5,083 posts
  •  
kstuart
Well i finished about a hour quicker than last year in a bit under 8 hours.
22 Jun
7:19pm, 22 Jun 2024
2,870 posts
  •  
Shades
Well done Keith, a very good course best. Looking forward to the race report. Enjoy your refuelling 😋

Ian - yes, I'm getting some consistent training but still have a bad run more often than I'd like. I have to be careful on the downhills too as it can niggle my back which has made me lose confidence in downhill running, I'm hoping I get over that soon.

Some decent mileage from you too this week.
22 Jun
9:55pm, 22 Jun 2024
11 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Well done Keith, how was the new start? Least it was a bit cooler this year, from memory was a bit warm last year
23 Jun
7:41am, 23 Jun 2024
3,590 posts
  •  
Big_G
Nice one Keith.

Shades/Robert, I’m not sure about that ATW event (just checking that it’s the Odyssey event we’re talking about, isn’t it?).

The event is on the 100MC event listing, but the title on the listing mentions ‘Ultra’, but that may just be an admin issue for the person who maintains the list.

I think it’s probably fine to do 6 laps for the marathon but I think if I was using it for 100MC purposes I’d check with them first, just based on how it has been listed on the 100MC site. Robert, if you want me to check on your behalf let me know.
23 Jun
8:08am, 23 Jun 2024
5,084 posts
  •  
kstuart
it was hotter at the start last year than it was for most of this years tbf ;) Just the odd spell of warmer stuff when sun was out and handily i was fast enough the sun came out properly only after i finished.

Start was better as it was basically on the grassy square outside the Woolwich station. They had a row of portaloo's and for later starters i think Starbucks opened at 7.

Be after my day out and about in London before i write anything up and that will depend on how awake i am later on.

Only lasting problem is achy ankle which is annoying but might be better once i am movin around.
23 Jun
10:08am, 23 Jun 2024
2,871 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - Robert's event would be listed as an ultra as it's a 12 hour event, not a challenge event so the winner is whoever completes the furthest distance. So it will be like most 12/24 hour races that you're not considered a DNF just because you stop before the 12 hours are up. 100MC rules say 42km for trail is acceptable as a qualifying marathon, I checked the 100MC rules. I've done 12 & 24 hour races where some runners stopped at marathon distance and that's recorded as a qualifying marathon, yet never appears on 100MC as a 'marathon' event.

Well done again Keith, only an achy ankle seems to me a pretty good considering.

I DID it, 13.79 miles today which gives me 41 miles for the week. 😀 At last hitting the 40mpw. Slow but pleased with run.

Weather was good but very humid as the cloud never burnt off. I had pre-planned the route and when I got to 4 miles they were setting up for a time check for a bike race. When I got halfway into my run I met the cyclists coming towards me, there was no pavement but I did my best not to get in the way. They had just started and were in such good humour that many of them were shouting Good Morning to me and none seemed to be annoyed with me. There were hundreds of them, I spoke to the guy at the checkpoint on my way home and he said there were thousands entered, very popular event.
23 Jun
10:46am, 23 Jun 2024
4,046 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades well done on big run and big week mileage wise.How does everything feel?

Keith: Just amazing !!
23 Jun
11:14am, 23 Jun 2024
2,874 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - thanks, my legs felt tired in the last couple of miles but they feel fine now, no aches and pains at all. At about 5 miles my back started to niggle but the next mile was a gentle uphill and that sorted that out.

Have you got your Cardiff training plan sorted out now?

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.