Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
24 Jun
9:06am, 24 Jun 2024
2,884 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - perhaps get up earlier to eat something or run later, although you probably don't want to do that when it's hot weather.

You don't need to eat a lot, just enough to top up depleted overnight glycogen stores. Perhaps eat more the day before too, a little bit of carbo loading, that should help.

The seagulls can be very intimidating. The big house down by the park near me that now has some evil metalwork on the roof to deter them is a children's nursery. I suspect they invested in that deterrent as parents/children probably terrified when arriving and leaving the nursery.
24 Jun
9:21am, 24 Jun 2024
4,058 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I am going to have a carb based snack before bed cheese on toast springs to mind and see if that works for me.I have to run early with caring for Mr Wp otherwise I would not run.
24 Jun
9:36am, 24 Jun 2024
2,885 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - that might do the trick.

If your weight is up a pound on long run day see that as a good thing that you've fuelled up and stored a few more carbs.
24 Jun
6:52pm, 24 Jun 2024
136 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-I had a crumpet before my run today,I'm lucky that I can eat it and still just go.
WP-Definately worth a try with the cheese on toast,hopefully it works for you.
7 hot miles today,took it easy but top was drenched when I got home.It is still my favourite running weather though.
24 Jun
7:22pm, 24 Jun 2024
2,891 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - if I'm hungry I can eat and then run straight after. I wouldn't eat much but enough to satisfy hunger.

Good it's your favourite running weather, as it's just what you need for Comrades training
24 Jun
7:55pm, 24 Jun 2024
5,086 posts
  •  
kstuart
I have blogged my race now i am home.
25 Jun
7:39am, 25 Jun 2024
2,892 posts
  •  
Shades
Keith - that's a great race report. You did very well to escape injury despite being assaulted twice 😉

Next race I have on the list for you is end of November, not doing anything until then?

6 sweaty miles this morning, humidity in high 90's again. Saw quite a few other runners this morning and most of them were sweating profusely too.

Gym later.
25 Jun
7:47am, 25 Jun 2024
4,063 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Thanks Ian and Shades I will test it out on MLR Wednesday to see if it works first.

Great race report Keith!!

PT session for me.Over cast here but heats up later!
25 Jun
7:52am, 25 Jun 2024
2,894 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - hope there's good aircon in the gym you use for your PT session.
25 Jun
8:35am, 25 Jun 2024
3,597 posts
  •  
Big_G
On ferry back to Dover at the moment. It’s been a great break and hoping the drive home will be better than the one to Dover. Hopefully it will be as timings should mean missing peak traffic.

I’m pleased I’ve managed a few runs and have enjoyed getting out there exploring new places again.

Going to do a walk with Tigg on Dover cliffs before going home.

Got to go and see Dad tomorrow, tidy up the van, and then Wattbike is coming Thursday :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.