Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
26 Jun
2:20pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,920 posts
  •  
Shades
Just entered Newport marathon. Had a moment of FOMO with possible influx of London rejects.

They're still offering a reduced entry fee £48 + admin fee.
26 Jun
2:33pm, 26 Jun 2024
3,605 posts
  •  
Big_G
I didn’t get in to London via the ballot and I’m actually relieved. I’d already said to OH that if London do still allow deferrals and I had somehow managed to get in via the ballot, that I’d defer.
26 Jun
2:40pm, 26 Jun 2024
69,608 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
[Delurks]

See you at Newport, Shades :) I'm thinking about entering Shakespeare now too, for the same reason, but if I don't get into London with my very sketchy GFA time I'd rather watch the television coverage than go out and run a different marathon on the same day.
26 Jun
2:45pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,924 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - well at least you're not disappointed. Have you other plans?

Vrap - I guess Shakespeare is same day as London then. I'm doing Connemara on that day.

You have time to improve your GFA time if you have the inclination and a suitable event.
26 Jun
2:50pm, 26 Jun 2024
69,609 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It is the same day, Shades :) And I'm not sure I care enough about getting into London to bother running another marathon this side of Valencia.
26 Jun
2:55pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,925 posts
  •  
Shades
Vrap - Barnstaple have announced that they are this year permitting their marathon with EA to enable runners to use it for GFA times. I did my best GFA time on that course and no long runs in training, well I might have done one I'll have to check. Race is 29th September. Longish trip for you though.
26 Jun
2:58pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,926 posts
  •  
Shades
I did one 16 mile run before Barnstaple.
26 Jun
3:09pm, 26 Jun 2024
4,075 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Excellent news on Newport Shades :) I better get my accommodation sorted before there is nothing left with all you marathoner's;-)
26 Jun
3:10pm, 26 Jun 2024
3,607 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, I’ve no other plans particularly. I just didn’t especially enjoy it in 2023 and had a bad run that day. And it’s not a great race to have a bad run at, what with the noise etc, when I just wanted peace and quiet at the time! It’d be great if I can get back to fitness and have a good run out there one year, but I’m not bothered that I’m missing next year.
26 Jun
3:24pm, 26 Jun 2024
69,610 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Thanks, Shades :) Barnstaple looks good, but I'd quite like to be able to have a decent run at the Chester Metric Marathon which is a week later. If I'd been really motivated to do another marathon I'd have entered this weekend's Solway Coast Marathon, which is flat and almost on my doorstep, but I'm doing the half to get club championship points instead.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.