Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
25 Jun
8:57am, 25 Jun 2024
137 posts
  •  
Ian5
I just remembered I can put Google map into my treadmill and it moves the treadmill based on the road,will have a look at some point at plotting some of comrades route,can't do the downs as too steep so will practise them outside but good for the ups.
25 Jun
9:07am, 25 Jun 2024
2,896 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - your time away has gone quickly. Hope you miss any heavy or slow traffic.

Ian - It's the downhills at Comrades that are likely to cause you problems, possible cramps etc but you're right you couldn't do them on a treadmill. Have you entered Langdale? Some good downhills on that route too.

Have you decided on your later autumn marathon yet? I had an email from Frankfurt reminding me price goes up after 30th June. I resisted the temptation, this time 😉
25 Jun
11:30am, 25 Jun 2024
138 posts
  •  
Ian5
I got the same email,still deciding on Autumn.I want OH to decide with me doing Comrades next year.I would like to do Langdale,if she picks a race on 27th then I'll probably do it,if she picks the 20th probably not.
10 this morning,little cloudy when I left which helped keep the temps down,but that soon cleared off and I was very wet again,really enjoyed it though,the park looks so nice in the summer it's great to run in.
25 Jun
3:56pm, 25 Jun 2024
2,904 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - Connemara have announced their 2025 date, 27th April, so clashes with London.
25 Jun
4:17pm, 25 Jun 2024
4,066 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ian That sounds a great treadmill.Which one is it?

No aircon in gym but French doors open and fan on.I came out to 28 degree heat!!

I need to get out earlier tomorrow to beat heat.
25 Jun
4:21pm, 25 Jun 2024
2,908 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - crikey that's tough. Our gym has very good aircon, it was a delight on a day like today.

Yes, I see it's going to be warm very early tomorrow. Another sweatfest.

🥵

Is it your MWLR tomorrow?
25 Jun
4:27pm, 25 Jun 2024
4,067 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
G Gym is based community hall and at the time I am ther in shade so very lucky.

MLR 8 to 9 miles depends how body copes with heat.

I usually go for after lunch walk 5 days a week for hour not with the heat at the moment.
25 Jun
5:03pm, 25 Jun 2024
139 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-I seen that,I was hoping it would be earlier so I could consider it.Need to start getting some firm plans in to place now.I think OH wants to do Barca again so probably there March.
WP-It is the Pro-Form Trainer 12.0,you need the ifit subscription to use Google maps on it,but it's only about £10 month,so we'll worth it from New Year to help me train.
25 Jun
5:15pm, 25 Jun 2024
2,909 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - why not move your MWLR to Thursday, due to be cooler. Then shorter run tomorrow.

Hot enough just walking to the gym this morning. This afternoon I only walked a few yards to the car and had the aircon on full blast.

Ian - shame about Connemara date for you it would be perfect Comrades training.
25 Jun
5:17pm, 25 Jun 2024
5,087 posts
  •  
kstuart
Shades - Er what am i nominally doing in November? Thames Bridge Ultra i assume? Not yet made my mind up on that one falls awkwardly date wise with work stuff. Will probably do something else this year just not sure where and when.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.