Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
23 Jun
6:00pm, 23 Jun 2024
4,055 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: As It happens that was what i used to do with the long run every other week with ten miles on the other week.Because I know have my PT and we have found 5 miles is the best day before any more and my strength suffers. I find 8 milers easy and want to get back to more than two a week.
I just think I need time and the more I do them the better I will become at them.

I can not eat before I run as like you I am out early just not as early 7am for me and have 1/2 clif bar,Active root sports drink 170ml in gel flask and today an emergency gel on my run.I then finish the bottle I made of active root when I get back.

Not long for IOM and hope the 15 miler goes well next week! I had similar issue before Newport 7 weeks to train and had some illness as wellso not ideal preps.

Rob:Absolutely let us see next week how the snooze length develops :)

TDF for me every step of the way and this year I forked out for the Guide and wall chart.I wanted one last year and could not get it as sold out.

I am sure they will let you just run and hopefully under six hours for IOM
23 Jun
6:15pm, 23 Jun 2024
2,880 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I don't eat before my mid week runs. But I do think it's very important to eat something before a longer run.

This morning I had porridge and 2 milky coffees before my run.

Midweek I just have the coffees.
23 Jun
6:34pm, 23 Jun 2024
3,593 posts
  •  
Big_G
Really looking forward to TdF also :)
23 Jun
6:34pm, 23 Jun 2024
3,594 posts
  •  
Big_G
There is a pro cycling thread on here which gets quite a lot of commentary. It’ll contain spoilers though.
23 Jun
6:39pm, 23 Jun 2024
2,881 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - will avoid that thread then.

I'm just watching the Women's Tour of Britain which I recorded a couple of weeks ago and omitted to watch.
23 Jun
6:57pm, 23 Jun 2024
5,085 posts
  •  
kstuart
Well ok ankle still hurts but been better this afternoon unti tube ride back from centre where there were a couple stop start exits from stations. Legs ache going up AND down currently but seem to recall that from G2E last year too.

Left side ribs was aching too whilst sat reading kindle circling around circle line to head up to the zoo. I remembered why after a while. No bruise i can see but def finger prod sore. You'll have to wait til i write up race stuff which will be tomorrow unless i feel more awake later on.
23 Jun
9:02pm, 23 Jun 2024
135 posts
  •  
Ian5
I usually eat before my runs on my days off,don't usually bother after work.
I did just under 7 hilly miles today after work to bring up 42 for the week.
24 Jun
7:59am, 24 Jun 2024
2,882 posts
  •  
Shades
Keith - that's a fairly challenging day you had post ultra. But obviously you wanted to make the most of your time in London.

Ian - I think that's probably what most runners do. But it would be unlikely that you'd skipped lunch when you're doing an evening run.

5+ miles this morning. Legs feel fine but they are a little tired when running, no surprise really as my longest run for 14 months.

First seagull swoop of the year, on a quiet housing estate and they made an almighty racket when they saw me and one then did a swoop, but it was a bit half hearted, not even enough to put my HR up.
24 Jun
8:37am, 24 Jun 2024
3,595 posts
  •  
Big_G
5 miles today. I had a circular route planned from this site, that included some trail but the trail section was more technical than I expected, and hence not enjoyable for me. About 1/3 of the way through the trail section I decided to abandon that and I double backed on myself for the total of 5 miles.
24 Jun
8:57am, 24 Jun 2024
4,057 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
There must be something in the air 5 miles recovery run for me as well.

I just can not eat that early and I am fine for every other run except long run.

Seagulls in the news in Cornwall Posties are scared of them this time of year .

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.