Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
22 Jun
1:37pm, 22 Jun 2024
4,041 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
That was along my thinking apart from a marathon plan which sounds good as I find most plans are light on miles.
I have a local hilly 10k next month and I could also run Swansea 10k which is about 3 weeks pre Cardiff.

Okay is not too bad :) If I had not been ill on long run day i would have reached the pinnacle of a 50 mile week so instead 40 miles.
22 Jun
2:40pm, 22 Jun 2024
2,865 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - well you shouldn't find a marathon plan light on miles, if so add in a few more.

Those two 10k races will slot nicely into your training.

I know what you mean about the weekly mileage. I haven't hit 40 mpw yet, when I'm just about to I either have a niggle or a cold/sore throat. I'm hoping with tomorrow's run I will finally hit 40 miles this week.
22 Jun
3:07pm, 22 Jun 2024
9 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Ian glad you seem to be back following a big.

Big G well done for getting out whilst away.

WP a marathon plan light on miles sound ideal for a half.

Shades I’m sure the 40mpw will come and soon be back to the 50s.

I’m still noy hitting the 20s, if it doesn’t happen tomorrow then it should happen next week. I’ve had 7 day periods with 20 miles.

Been feeling a bit tired this week, no running until today. 6.5miles marking 5 years today since the fall I felt it fitting to run to panshanger, do the old course and run back. Made it back without a trip to hospital
22 Jun
3:59pm, 22 Jun 2024
2,866 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - tempting fate going back to the scene of that awful fall, can't believe that was 5 years ago. Thankfully you survived today unscathed.

I'm hoping I can get some longer runs done. I'm determined to finish the IOM marathon, I know it won't be easy, I've already asked for an early start.

And I'm determined not to miss the plane this time 🤣
22 Jun
4:30pm, 22 Jun 2024
10 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Shades always worth a look at airport hotels.

Still unsure if what distance I’m going to run at St Neots 12 hour event in 2 weeks. I’ve put myself down for marshalling in the 2nd half so only gives me 5.5 hours. The loops are 6km so imagine I have to run 8 loops for a marathon as 7 loops is only 42km.
22 Jun
4:32pm, 22 Jun 2024
3,589 posts
  •  
Big_G
Robert, well done for getting through your run unscathed. At Shades mentioned, can’t believe that was 5 years ago.

Shades, fingers crossed on getting to 40 tomorrow then.

I went and did Dietenbach parkrun near Freiburg this morning. A nice 2-lapper, with water and German bread at the finish. Just checked the results and there were 93 finishers so it’s a nice size really - not too big and not too small. There were a few there doing a 24hr event nearby that started at 4pm today.

Quite a long drive over to our next campsite, in France, near Reims. Very different to our Freiburg site which was only a mile from the city centre whereas this one is very rural and quieter. We came here avoiding the toll roads and it was a lovely ride over. We’re here 2 nights and then 1 night near Dunkirk before the trip home.
22 Jun
4:38pm, 22 Jun 2024
2,867 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - the hotel at Bristol Airport has been booked, I did that several months ago. Ridiculous as airport only 80 miles from here. But not risking it again.

Are you sure that those 7 loops don't make marathon distance? A lot of runners will want to stop at marathon point. Is it trail? If so for 100 club purposes there's more leniency about the measurement as no course measurement certificate for trail courses. Big G might remember the rules.
22 Jun
4:40pm, 22 Jun 2024
2,868 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - well done making your weekly total of 20 miles.
22 Jun
4:47pm, 22 Jun 2024
2,869 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - I found the 100 club ruling on trail marathons. Must be 26 miles (42km) to count as measured by race organiser.
22 Jun
4:47pm, 22 Jun 2024
4,043 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Thanks Shades and Robert.I meant half plans are light on miles but adapting a marathon plan is perfect.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.