Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
26 Jun
6:49pm, 26 Jun 2024
4,079 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Congratulations Rob ypudeserve your place after 15 tries!

Bad luck Ian but I am sure other options to get in like club place etc?

Cows,sheep, horses and llamas at Newport🤣🙂

I found London to be lonely when you are in a world of pain and the noise back then was deafening.
26 Jun
7:18pm, 26 Jun 2024
141 posts
  •  
Ian5
Rob-Brilliant news and well deserved.
Yes a club place is an option,I think we have quite a lot who'll be going for it so will see.
It is only 6 weeks before Comrades though so that's the reason I'm not too bothered.
26 Jun
7:28pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,932 posts
  •  
Shades
6 weeks before Comrades.!

Quite a few runners do DD and then run Comrades the week after 😉
26 Jun
7:40pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,933 posts
  •  
Shades
...although I wouldn't recommend doing that. 2 weeks gap would be fine.

With ultra training your marathon recovery times should shorten significantly.
26 Jun
7:45pm, 26 Jun 2024
69,615 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Congratulations @Rob OHara :)

I'm lucky in that eL Bee! is really good about trips built around marathons even now that he doesn't run much himself. The trade-off is that I'll happily be a trailing spouse when he does mountain biking events.
26 Jun
7:55pm, 26 Jun 2024
142 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-I meant more that I'll ideally be in peak mileage then.
Not no more they don't,they are the same weekend now.Could you finish DD,overnight flight then Comrades 🤣
26 Jun
8:07pm, 26 Jun 2024
2,935 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - no, that's a bit tight, don't think the time difference is in your favour 😉

Twice I've run DD on the Saturday, flown to Cork on the Sunday and marathon on the Monday. Not recommended either.
27 Jun
6:22am, 27 Jun 2024
2,937 posts
  •  
Shades
Rest day for me today. Am taking an extra rest day a week for a while. My legs are still tired from Tuesday's gym, I did do a 'to failure' session on legs/glutes.

Next week will be another rest day on the Friday as I know I will get up in the very early hours to watch the election results. I did it with Brexit referendum and last general election and I find it fascinating.

I may stick to a 5 running day week whilst running long runs. Hope to get back to a level of fitness when I can ditch the long runs.
27 Jun
6:27am, 27 Jun 2024
5,089 posts
  •  
kstuart
I did not get in on the ballot, nothing new there.

I will NOT be getting up early next Friday cos i er skip the sleeping bit entirely and do that in the afternoon ;) I'll power nap beforehand instead albeit away with work Wed/Thur
27 Jun
6:54am, 27 Jun 2024
2,939 posts
  •  
Shades
Keith - sorry about London ballot. So hard to get a ballot place now that the only consolation is that nobody seems to be disappointed any more. A few years ago the forums were full of righteous indignation at not getting a place.

So you don't go to bed at all on election night, impressive. I'll go to bed early and get a couple of hours sleep then get up.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.