Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
27 Jun
5:43pm, 27 Jun 2024
147 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-London and NYC have not long had a radical change with the under by a time rule so wouldn't expect them to change that for quite a while.
If it wasn't for my shoulder knocking me out for a month I'd be thinking I had a decent chance,as it is ill see how the next month goes,but I'm really happy where I am as initially I thought I'd only be starting running again about now.
27 Jun
5:52pm, 27 Jun 2024
2,950 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - not really a radical change just a response to GFA entries being oversubscribed. I meant radical for instance by not allowing GFA entries at all.

Vrap - I used to be a member of Marathon Club Ireland and I had an Athletics Ireland membership card. If I was still a member I don't know if I'd be eligible to apply for a GFA place, might need an Irish postal address.
28 Jun
12:47am, 28 Jun 2024
16 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
I do wonder what checks are done for the address for gfa for London or Dublin. Surely it would only need someone to give an address?

Went for a run this morning, 7 miles and was a bit eventful, out to old Trafford was okay then followed some lovely paths on my watch but came across high fences or concrete blocks, after climbing over a barrier I found myself in a gated nursing home back garden locked in. Thankfully managed to get into the home and put the front door. Rest day tomorrow as too many beers this evening… hopefully work not too demanding.
28 Jun
5:53am, 28 Jun 2024
4,085 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Blimey Rob that sounds an unusual run good job you got out of nursing home safe and sound!
28 Jun
7:02am, 28 Jun 2024
2,951 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - don't UK applicants have to supply proof of residency, utility bill or something? I've had a GFA time but not used it, so don't know.

Many years ago an Irish friend of mine used my address to enter London as GFA, he was a 2:45 marathon runner. In fairness though he did at times do contract IT work in the UK but not enough to have a postal address.

That's an interesting and adventurous run, wonder if you're on their CCTV 🤣

WP - I saw a suspect advert on FB selling Brooks shoes at silly prices, as I trust my anti-virus, I clicked on it and right enough a scam website. I sent a stinging report to FB but it will do no good, they don't verify their advertisers, in fact they support scam content.

7 miles this morning, weather back to pleasant conditions.
28 Jun
7:15am, 28 Jun 2024
148 posts
  •  
Ian5
Yes you need to supply an official bill or similar these days for GFA.
I was reading about HCA last night and it's this year's Danish Master Champs so there should be lots of faster runners to cling on to.
28 Jun
7:36am, 28 Jun 2024
3,612 posts
  •  
Big_G
Rob, ha, that’s funny. Did no staff see you then?

Did a ride yesterday on Zwift on the new bike just to check all okay.

Just over 5 again today, same route as Wednesday. It was much fresher today, at the same time of day as Wednesday, and I had a better run today. Felt more like a ‘proper’ run in terms of not as much walking to keep HR low.

Helping at parkrun tomorrow, just doing course check, which I’ll run. Hoping for around 7 in total tomorrow.
28 Jun
7:59am, 28 Jun 2024
2,954 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - I thought I'd seen somewhere about proof of residency. What about general ballot entries, is residency checked then?

That's very promising about HCA race being Masters Championships, bodes well for a well organised race.

Big G - good you've got the bike sorted.
28 Jun
8:28am, 28 Jun 2024
149 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-No idea,neither of us have won a ballot place yet 😅 guess it would be the same though.
They had the masters last year also,across all their races on the day they had just over 4000,saying they passed 5000 last month so looks like race entries are booming everywhere,and the HM is sold out 3.months in advance.
28 Jun
9:25am, 28 Jun 2024
2,957 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - it's probably easier to get a London ballot place than find somewhere to live in this country 😂

That's a good healthy race entry. Just as well you booked up early.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.