Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
29 Jun
7:05am, 29 Jun 2024
18 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Big G, will be travelling in on the day, although we only have slow trains into london from Hertford, (frustrating when we have two train lines) it's only about 90 mins door to door.

Shades mobile phone bills weren't allowed for proof of address neither were prov drive licenses, not sure why as there were ways around getting the proof of address which weren't really legit. All seemed a bit of a faff with workarounds.

Feeling tired, off to local parkrun shortly, then breakfast before a day wandering round Manchester, going to the football museum and considering a matainee comedy show, I might even buy some new trainers if I fall into a runners need as have a discount with vitality.
29 Jun
10:12am, 29 Jun 2024
3,619 posts
  •  
Big_G
Strange how it goes but today’s run was terrible, whereas Wednesday’s was great. I did 4 miles before parkrun, including course check, and then the event, for my planned 7 miles, but HR was a struggle to keep under control today. Don’t know why really, but anyway, that’s another 4 runs for this week, for the 2nd week in a row. Similar plans for next week in terms of mileage (23 this week, so maybe 25ish next week) but also hopefully a bit more cycling too. Foot okay, or at least manageable, and haven’t really had a step back in those two weeks in terms of the discomfort/pain.

Naomi F (DD winner) was down there, in training for a half marathon. She did 3x5k at a crazy pace, last 5K (the parkrun) was 18:10 I think she said.
29 Jun
10:13am, 29 Jun 2024
2,974 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - not so easy for all those 30 year old kids that haven't left home to provide proof of address then 😉. I can understand the provisional licence not being allowed as often applied for at 16/17 and then they don't bother to change address until they pass their driving test, even if many years later.

I thought you were going to watch the athletics, or is that tomorrow?

Enjoy your day and the shoe shopping.
29 Jun
10:25am, 29 Jun 2024
2,975 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - xpost, annoying for you that today's run wasn't great even though it's cooler and fresher. But at least your foot is OK and you've achieved your target mileage. We all have those unexpected bad runs at times.

I see Vingegaard is on the start line for TdeF. He looks very pale and thin, but that's not unusual for him.
29 Jun
10:37am, 29 Jun 2024
4,100 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Rob Enjoy shoe shopping and Manchester and your run.

BG: You can never tell when a bad run will bite you on the bum sadly.

Shades he always looks pale and thin!

5 mile recovery run this morning making 48.5 miles for the week which I think is highest this year.
Off to go watch TDF :)
29 Jun
10:42am, 29 Jun 2024
3,620 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, yes, he’s always thin. I did see some commentary that suggested he must have been incredibly disciplined to keep the weight off, despite him being out injured. Visma are a bit of an unknown I guess - Vingegaard hasn’t raced since his injury, Kuss is out with Covid, Roglic is with a different team. So they don’t appear as strong as they were last year, whereas UAE looks like a very strong team on paper, although there were reports Pogacar also had Covid recently. You get the feeling that everyone in UAE knows Pogacar is the leader and they know they’ll all be riding for him, even though 2 or 3 of them would probably be leaders in other teams. Who knows how it’s going to play out, but with ‘the big 4’ all riding for different teams, it could be a great one this year.
29 Jun
10:44am, 29 Jun 2024
3,621 posts
  •  
Big_G
WP, cross post. Great mileage from you, for your highest mileage this year.
29 Jun
10:53am, 29 Jun 2024
2,976 posts
  •  
Shades
WP- congrats on your weekly mileage, I know you've worked hard to build it up

Vingegaard doesn't look like he enjoys his food, looks like a fussy eater.

I heard Pogacar had Covid. I see Cav is lining up again, Sir Cav now.👑
29 Jun
11:26am, 29 Jun 2024
19 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
WP great mileage.

Big G most important is the foot behaves, the odd meh run isn’t too much of an issue, esp as wasn’t a planned long run.

Shades athletics only tomorrow, didn’t fancy the full two days and today is a long day.

Peel parkrun 2 laps, nice and flat, but twisty and most on paths. Bit twisty at points but the pace in running I don’t lose too much. Kept an even pace for fastest parkrun for 20 months 26:58.
29 Jun
12:41pm, 29 Jun 2024
2,977 posts
  •  
Shades
Rob - excellent parkrun time, you're definitely coming back into form.

Tomorrow is the better day for the athletics IMHO so you chose well.

Just as well I did a lot of housework yesterday, no time today as recording the athletics to watch later and I'm now watching the TdeF. Great views of Florence for the very long roll out.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.