Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
30 Jun
6:31am, 30 Jun 2024
2,982 posts
  •  
Shades
I've ditched today's long run as I had a bad night with my back.

Probably not helped as I was dreaming about elections 😱 I dreamt that I agreed to put my name in for a council election otherwise they couldn't go ahead and I won, more of a nightmare really.

Thoroughly enjoyed TdeF yesterday, I always want the breakaway to win the stage and I was screaming at the telly as the peloton closed in for the kill.

Good day for Pogacar and Vingegaard, tough day for Cav.
30 Jun
9:45am, 30 Jun 2024
4,102 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Thanks for comments much appreciated as taken a long time to get back there.5 years ,

Thoroughly enjoyed TDF.I think a lot of us was screaming at Romain and I was over the moon they did it! Very tough day for Sir Cav

Shades Sounds like a good idea to not run long with back.What a nightmare with election win!

Long run day for me as well but Achilles has been playing up for a few days.A few miles in knew it would not be twelve today and was happy if I made MWLR and then thought ten is a nice place to be so ran that and felt about right.So I can either run 3 @ 10 milers or see Wednesday if I am good to go for 12 as have 10k on 14th which ties in with cut back week next week.
30 Jun
9:51am, 30 Jun 2024
20 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Shades I’d vote for you, tbh it’s not that much of a compliment. I’m fairly apolitical but have always voted. My mind it’s time for a change, I’m not interested in tax cuts if it means a strain on public services. No way am I voting reform, our local labour candidate was one of Chloe’s school friends and seemed a good chap, that seems to be the best reason I have for voting.

Yesterday was shattering walking around Manchester and sightseeing. No shoe shopping as runners need was only a small store and too tired, enjoyed the comedy as was able to put my feet up, went back to the hotel put the football on and fell asleep only woke up to cheers of goals scored, cramping in legs and the final whistle. Thankfully managed to get back to sleep until 6am.

Out for 8.5 miles this morning, grabbed a route off garmin what appeared to be a nice run along canals and parks took a nasty turn in the middle mile as it routed along a mountain bike trail, what kind of sadisitic leaves these routes public for others to try, the final half mile of canal was also cobbled paths which wasn’t much fun.
30 Jun
9:56am, 30 Jun 2024
21 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
WP hopefully no naps for us with opting for shorter runs.

25 miles for the week. Biggest of the year. Hopefully can start to build back up again
30 Jun
10:16am, 30 Jun 2024
4,105 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Rob:Let us see who wins the naps this week but you could be right we may not need any :)

Great miles for the week! it seems those naps have powered us to big weeks.
30 Jun
10:17am, 30 Jun 2024
2,984 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - sensible to ease up on the distance if your achilles is niggling. You've just completed a very good training week.

Rob - I always vote in every type of election but I won't be standing as a candidate in any type of election 🤣. As you know I rarely keep my opinions to myself so wouldn't last 5 minutes in politics. Would be an enjoyable 5 minutes though. 😉

Sounds like a very tiring day yesterday. Well done on your run today, glad you stayed away from private property I had visions of you appearing on Crimewatch with the presenter saying 'here he is again on CCTV, do you know who this man is?'.

I'm sorting through my race kit stuff, washing all the gloves, buffs, hats etc that have been in my race bag a long time.
30 Jun
8:17pm, 30 Jun 2024
154 posts
  •  
Ian5
WP-Well done on your best week this year.
Rob-Good week for you topped with Parkrace.
Shades-Hope the back is better tomorrow.
I took a rest day yesterday as I realised I'd ran 7 days,just about 6.5 today to creep over 50 for the week,I was hoping for this at the end of July so 4 weeks ahead.
1 Jul
7:30am, 1 Jul 2024
3,627 posts
  •  
Big_G
Great running Ian. You’ve managed your shoulder really well and getting to 50 ahead of what you’d hoped is brilliant.

We had a great weekend. Went down to Eden Project on Saturday in the van, had a look around there, and then went to our campsite to drop the van off and meet friends, who we were sharing a large pitch with (they were in their MoHo). Had a bbq and then went back to Eden Project to see Manic Street Preachers (turns out the lead singer was wearing a pair of Hokas…) and Suede and had a great night. Went back to the site and basically everyone there had been at the gig so it was a great atmosphere. Had a relaxed journey back yesterday, stopping at 2 NT places (one of which I’d never been to) so it was a good day. A friend was staying at our house watching Tigg and he was pleased to see us.

6 miles today, flat, and had a decent run. Motleys are doing an elevation challenge again but I’m not doing it this time.

I’ve been keeping up to speed with TdF but haven’t seen anything live. I think I’ll watch the last 35km of yesterday’s stage later, if I can. Shame I missed Saturday’s - sounds like it was a cracking stage. I love a breakaway win, that goes close to the wire.

Came back from run and had a message that Dad was taken into hospital last night. Don’t know why, will find out later. I did see I had about 10 missed calls from an unknown number after 10pm (my phone is silent after 10pm) but no voice mail.
1 Jul
7:53am, 1 Jul 2024
2,989 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - good to see your training going so well especially after that awful fall.

Big G - sounds like you had a good weekend.

Isn't there an ITV4 catch up online to view Saturday's TdeF or is it just the highlights programme? Amazing finishes for the first two stages.

Hope your Dad is OK.

5+ miles for me this morning. Overcast and cooler, good for running. Ran down the street that set off the seagulls last week. The seagulls were there sitting on the chimneys of adjacent bungalows. They watched me but were completely silent today, thankfully not interested.
1 Jul
8:48am, 1 Jul 2024
4,110 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ian: What a great week of training especially after your shoulder injury ando be ahead of schedule as well.

BG: Sounds a great weekend away.Hope all is okay with Dad.

Shades: Nice to be back out again and no seagull drama's.How is the back?

5+ miles for me this morning gentle recovery run.I usually do speed intervals but with Achilles niggling decided to play it safe.I was drizzled on as well.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.